Logo

1000 cranking amps

9nick0

I have a 2003 MD40B 40 horse TLDI that requires the 1000 cranking amps. I just realized all of this and that my battery is significantly underpowered. It’s an old 575. The motor is now throwing the 3 blinking red lights and idling a little rough on start so I am coming to the conclusion I need a different battery. Anybody with recommendations on an affordable battery that fits that criteria?

Also does it require 1000cca or marine amps? 1000 cca batteries appear rather expensive.

I hardly believe that 1000 cranking amps is needed. That's pretty ridiculous when someone who has an 8 year old 650 amp battery, and as of summer 2020, is still working fine in his 115 Mercury........that would be me. It's just a Walmart Marine battery, nothing special.

Last edited:
You dont need a 1000CCA battery unless you use in cold weather(35° or below) ...From the manual: Recommended battery: 12V 100AH/5HR,850 (Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), In case ofcold whether: 12V120AH/5HR (1000CCA))Specifications and features of batteriesvary among the manufacturers. Consultthe manufacturer for details.* The battery should be purchased separately and is not supplied with the out

It gets down to 35 pretty much everywhere north of Florida at some point. And I fish year round. Just trying to get the right battery is all.

WalMart has 1000 CCA batteries in the auto section. You may need the post type to lug type connectors. I bought one last year... well under $100.

WalMart has 1000 CCA batteries in the auto section. You may need the post type to lug type connectors. I bought one last year... well under $100.

Thank you Paul. I always love your responses. I live in a very saltwater environment and would prefer to get a marine battery with the terminals. Any recommendations on where I can do that under say $150? Duracell makes a size 24 group 850cca with 1000 marine amps for $99, do you think that would suffice or should I keep looking for the 1000cca?

In marine terminal batteries, you may have to go to a group 31, which will be pricey. There are actually only about 4 manufacturing plants in the US; all the rest is branding.

Not true. Interstate has a group 31 that does.

I put a new battery in with plenty of power. It still has the 3 blinking red lights. I have new spark plugs on the way. Is there anything I need to reset or unplug and plug back in to see if that helps reset the lights? When I had it out last it ran rough at the very first, but the second start and idle was nearly as smooth as I am used to.

Whip out your Factory service manual. Read out the ECU, and reset TPS initial setting and clear everything and then see if the 3 lights go out.

Whip out your Factory service manual. Read out the ECU, and reset TPS initial setting and clear everything and then see if the 3 lights go out.[/QUOT
I found a service manual online and I am just waiting for it to get here. It’s weird the very first time I start it up it idles really rough like a cylinder isn’t firing but if I turn it off and right back on it idles close to normal. New plugs and service manual on the way.

Thank you Paul. I always love your responses. I live in a very saltwater environment and would prefer to get a marine battery with the terminals. Any recommendations on where I can do that under say $150? Duracell makes a size 24 group 850cca with 1000 marine amps for $99, do you think that would suffice or should I keep looking for the 1000cca?

OTR trucking centers buy size 31 (same physical outer dimensions as a popular size 27 trolling motor battery, but with ⅜" stud terminals), 925 cca, sealed batteries by the skid for use in these trucks. Last one I bought was less than a hundred bucks and is ruggedized for OTR use. Surely this would be ample for your engine since they start 500 hp diesel trucks and tractors all over the US in the winter.

OTR trucking centers buy size 31 (same physical outer dimensions as a popular size 27 trolling motor battery, but with ⅜" stud terminals), 925 cca, sealed batteries by the skid for use in these trucks. Last one I bought was less than a hundred bucks and is ruggedized for OTR use. Surely this would be ample for your engine since they start 500 hp diesel trucks and tractors all over the US in the winter.

Sounds fine.

Back