Logo

Got great advice last time so here goes

occh

Contributing Member
I am going to look at a Steiger that has a 2004 Honda BF 225 on it with approximately 800 hrs. I know every engine regardless of manufacturer, have there hiccups anybody know what they are for these engines.
thanks much

This is a great motor. Maintenance is key here. I judge people by looking inside their microwave. Maybe gonna have to change my ways with Covid around now.

Is this a saltwater or freshwater boat?

As for the engine - test drive it through a range of speeds for at least an hour. Take it to a Honda Dealer who has the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) or Dr. H. Pay them for a complete readout. Do a compression test and a leak down test.

The pre-2007's had some issues. See the attached document. It's two pages. Print them and lay them side-by-side. View attachment Honda Gripe List_Updated 7_12_19.pdf

Briefly....

The original exhaust tubes allowed water and mist to get too far up the exhaust tubes and blow the HO2 sensor. They are darned pricey. See Honda Service Bulletin #56. If you need a copy, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and ask for it. I'll return a copy. The fix is to replace the exhaust tubes with redesigned ones. The kit and parts are only a little over $100 on Boats.net, but you are looking at 3-4 hours of professional labor costs unless you can do it yourself - which several on this forum have. Get the engine serial number and call Honda Customer service and see if they have any record of the exhaust tubes being changed out under warranty.

The mid-shaft (drive shaft) bushing tends to fail, especially in saltwater, and when they fail can eat a hole right through the lower cowling. Pull the lower unit and thoroughly inspect the bushing. It's relatively easy to replace as long as the seat is intact. There after check it regularly.

Check for corrosion under the thermostat seats. Flushing water doesn't get up there very well. If it is not too bad, some folks on the forum have carefully ground out the corrosion and built it back up with JB Weld or similar.

These engines are really sensitive to a dirty high pressure fuel filter. So, if you do buy the boat, change out the HP and LP filters, change out the external fuel/water separator (if it has one. If it doesn't, install one, like a Racor 10 micron.) Drain the VST. Put in a new water pump (and check the mid-shaft bearing while you are at it), drain and replace oil with a good marine grade 25W-40, drain and replace the lower unit oil with a good synthetic.

Is this a saltwater or freshwater boat?

As for the engine - test drive it through a range of speeds for at least an hour. Take it to a Honda Dealer who has the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) or Dr. H. Pay them for a complete readout. Do a compression test and a leak down test.

The pre-2007's had some issues. See the attached document. It's two pages. Print them and lay them side-by-side. View attachment 25700

Briefly....

The original exhaust tubes allowed water and mist to get too far up the exhaust tubes and blow the HO2 sensor. They are darned pricey. See Honda Service Bulletin #56. If you need a copy, send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and ask for it. I'll return a copy. The fix is to replace the exhaust tubes with redesigned ones. The kit and parts are only a little over $100 on Boats.net, but you are looking at 3-4 hours of professional labor costs unless you can do it yourself - which several on this forum have. Get the engine serial number and call Honda Customer service and see if they have any record of the exhaust tubes being changed out under warranty.

The mid-shaft (drive shaft) bushing tends to fail, especially in saltwater, and when they fail can eat a hole right through the lower cowling. Pull the lower unit and thoroughly inspect the bushing. It's relatively easy to replace as long as the seat is intact. There after check it regularly.

Check for corrosion under the thermostat seats. Flushing water doesn't get up there very well. If it is not too bad, some folks on the forum have carefully ground out the corrosion and built it back up with JB Weld or similar.

These engines are really sensitive to a dirty high pressure fuel filter. So, if you do buy the boat, change out the HP and LP filters, change out the external fuel/water separator (if it has one. If it doesn't, install one, like a Racor 10 micron.) Drain the VST. Put in a new water pump (and check the mid-shaft bearing while you are at it), drain and replace oil with a good marine grade 25W-40, drain and replace the lower unit oil with a good synthetic.

CHawk, thank you and very much appreciated!
Merry Christmas to you and yours

Yes.....I see you are likely looking at a saltwater motor.......living in Yorktown. I have no experience with the big Honda's in saltwater. Here in Minnesota it's something we just don't see. The L. Superior motors last for decades and decades......still look like new.

Back