Logo

2000/2001 Triton TR 17 w/ 90 horse Johnson ignition switch?

tcufish

Let me preface with how well this engine runs and how well the boat handles. It is in great shape. However...
I noticed my ignition switch was a little loose so it would turn a little when I tried to start the engine. And now and then I would get nothing when turning the switch to start the boat. I'd take it out of neutral and put it back in neutral and most of the time after doing that once or twice, it would fire right up. I was getting power because the beep would always sound and the gauges moved into position as did the idiot lights.

Then recently on a very rainy day as I was wrapping up an all day fishing affair running the bilge and putting along, the engine died. It died after I was through running the bilge and had slowed the engine a little, getting ready to put it in the corner and plane in. But before I could do that the engine just died, like it ran out of gas. I have a half tank of gas, roughly 10 gallons or so. It turned just fine, but wouldn't start.

I brought it home changed the plugs, cleaned the fuel filter, and tightened the ignition switch. Took it to the lake a couple days later and it fired up. It sat and idled for a while just fine. It planed out perfectly. Within 20-30 minutes it died again. Now I notice that the water gauge is stuck in the position it usually runs at. When I turn the ignition, I am not getting the beep sound unless I mess around with it, like jiggling it. The tach jumps all over when turning the key as does the volt gauge. The engine turns just fine. I'm not sure if it will turn over because I don't have water access and don't want to mess with starting it without water. But regardless, something is wrong and I want to fix it before putting it away for the winter. Don't want boat problems when it is time to fish. Anybody familiar with the sound of this? Thank you in advance for any help in fixing this problem.

Time for a new ignition switch maybe? Really don't want to put 12 volts down the wrong wire either....could cost you some ignition components.

Back