Logo

1994 Mainship 7.4 TBI

JacksMainship

I have noticed a strong smell of fuel on shut down on my Port engine, that is weeping back into the cabin. Engine is a Marine Power 7.4 TBI. No leaks can be found. But I had to remove the Exhaust hose on the inboard Riser to replace gaskets on the heat exchanger and smelled strong fuel smell in the tube.
Bad TBI injector? Any Clues how to diagnose this issue?

could be a stuck/leaking injector...I'd start with a good inspection of the TBI unit...if its leaking, you should see the drip, especially after shutdown...

if the injectors are fine, I'd get a scan tool and check the parameters controlling the pulse width...Engine Coolant Temp in particular...

Thanks Much - That's what I plan to do next weekend out at the lake. - BTW - do you know where the Scan Plug in is on a Marine Power 7.4? , Or where I can get a service Manual? Not as prevalent as a Mercruiser

they used to be available thru the marine power www site....really doesn't matter as 1994 would have been the first year where most every (gm) standard production unit had a MEFI-1 controller....your mercruiser manual will cover the MEFI aspects of your marine power engine...

Its likely the injector....ran into this before....bleeding off the fuel pressure. Betya that engine pops off faster than starboard, eh? Gets its own little prime.

Back