Logo

1962 Johnson 40 HP seafoam or not??

cws68

Well kicking along great found bad spark plug wires & changes coils as well "found a cracks in both as well". Motor running good it seems but haven't put in lake again as yet and was wondering if "SEAFOAM MOTOR TREATMENT" was a good idea or not to run through motor once to see if it would clean any junk out of cab and fuel pump. I watched a video with it being used on 2 stroke but not as old of engine as mine.

You all have been on the money with my questions and as always thank you and respect your opinions and great help.

I've been using Sea Foam for years on both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines, including outboards and yard equipment. It works fine. To decarb the engine mix 1 part Sea Foam to 4 parts fuel in an auxiliary tank. Run it through a warm engine until it starts to sputter, then shut it down and let it sit for an hour or so. Besides cleaning the carbs, it will break up carbon on the valves and rings. When you start the engine back up, you'll likely get a lot of smoke and junk coming out of the exhaust. If a lot, give it a second treatment. Note: if you do this on a 4-stroke engine, change the oil after the treatment because it will likely be contaminated.

Just for the record, let me add - I use Yamalube Ring Free on my 4-stroke Honda BF 225. For regular maintenance, 1 ounce per 10 gallons. For a running decarb, 2 ounces per 10 gallons.

I've been using Sea Foam for years on both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines, including outboards and yard equipment. It works fine. To decarb the engine mix 1 part Sea Foam to 4 parts fuel in an auxiliary tank. Run it through a warm engine until it starts to sputter, then shut it down and let it sit for an hour or so. Besides cleaning the carbs, it will break up carbon on the valves and rings. When you start the engine back up, you'll likely get a lot of smoke and junk coming out of the exhaust. If a lot, give it a second treatment. Note: if you do this on a 4-stroke engine, change the oil after the treatment because it will likely be contaminated.

I have noticed there are two types. Should I use the marine grade one?

I use this product to keep my old outboards in top running shape. Done it for 30 years with concentrated PI and the last 5 years with the new "diluted" formula. Really notice the difference in performance and reliability....especially in 4 strokes. For me it exceeds what results I have noticed with other products.....and I've tried alot of them.

Never used it and probably never will. This is a product that is made for a problem that doesn't really exist. If you believe it will help you, buy it.

It's not needed most of the time, agreed. I use this product when I don't feel the need to have to physically take something apart to clean and replace. Consideration and experience is critical to making the right call. For carbon build up, it's a "given"....the most reasonable modus operandi. But if too much carbon has accumulated, then a dismantle is likely the fix. For lite fuel deposits/contaminants in system......it has worked well for me. The key here is to avoid ethanol and use only clear non oxy fuel.

PS...this photo was supposed to be included in my first post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201210-082853.jpg
    Screenshot_20201210-082853.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 77
Back