Logo

High temp alarm and coolant blow...?

Blackfin27

Contributing Member
Engines have run at temp all season after new riser job and sea water pump job 350 XL 270 1997.

Cruising at 3200 for about 45 minutes suddenly got a high temp alarm on starboard side, temp gauge spiked hot, pulled back/safety mode and shut down. I did launch off a couple of steep waves and caught air several times in a row just before this event...( running a Blackfin so pretty soft re-entry :rolleyes:) Coolant reservoir/expansion bottle was overflowed and blew out some excess coolant on the engine hatch cover. I should have checked the riser housing temp by touch when this happened- duh.

I limped back on one engine, back in the slip after about a 2 hour cooling off period the coolant level in the expansion bottle had retreated and was now almost empty. It turned over back in the slip, let it idle for a short period only.

Next day I returned, removed engine cap and coolant level seemed full, filled expansion bottle which was pretty much empty, the little coolant now remaining in the expansion bottle looked 'dirty' before refilling. Turned it over in the slip and let idle for a short period. I'm hauling out for the season and hoping to make it to the lift on 2 engines, very short run to the lift, hoping to make it there in slow mode.

Any feedback, comments where to look for faulty component?

Thank you for any guidance.

you could have gotten lucky and just had a temporary obstruction over the inlet - think plastic bag floating just under the surface...

If the belt is tight and the risers are ok, I'd suggest pressure testing the HX...if that's ok, i think you could get the haulout w/ no issues...

So I made out onto the hard ok with the following update:

Stopped by the other day to check in with my mechanic. He winterized the engines. He said the water pump blew/failed. This was a new unit that went in this spring.

I'm wondering how a new pump fails? Do I have a bigger issue?
This engine is louder then the other...not detonation, more of a bearing needing grease type rotational whirling sound...I don't know it that's a symptom and if so is it related-

Any guidance appreciated. New pump on order, maybe got a defective pump...seems like a pretty simple part to go bad so paranoid I have a bigger problem-

Flow issue on the supply side, seacocks and intake were cleaned out this spring-

Thanks for any assist with this-

Was this the pump mounted on the engine or the pump used to draw coolant water from the [lake, ocean, river]? The sound you describe sounds like a pump going bad and it is possible to get a new pump or pretty much any part that is bad, it happens. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it and it did not work from the get go.

Take a look at your strainer, maybe it's full of crud.

I have a couple suggestions for your over-wintering.

Pull both raw water pumps now, inspect, and replace impellors in spring (normal maintenance) > if you see any pieces of rubber missing from impellors, inspect heat-X supply hose for bits

Remove and clean out heat exchangers by taking end caps off and "bottle-brushing out the tubes". You can use short sections of 1 1/2 inch dowel and hose clamp to keep coolant in engine.

Back