Logo

5.0HP oil leak

BrianH

I have a brand new(bought it 1 year ago) Lehr 5HP propane motor from West Marine. In filling the oil, it takes 1/2 qrt and somehow I read wrong and put in a full quart. The motor was smoking and I saw a light oil sheen on the water and immediately came back in, maybe 15 minutes use. I took it back home and drained the oil and refilled with the proper amount, then stored it. It has laid on it's side(tiller handle down as in instructions) for the past 9-12 months due to back surgery. Upon pulling it out of my shed, it seems that all of the oil has drained out of the engine. I took the shrouds off and can't see any oil leaks. So, in my thought process, it is a seal leak somewhere between the bottom of the motor and the lower section/prop. The leaking oil that i see is around the water intake at the very bottom. I called around and no one is interested in looking /diagnosing it. One response was "you should have bought a motor from me". Because parts are impossible to find, I not sure how to take parts off to look. and I'm afraid that if I remove parts, I may not be able to find replacement seals/gaskets Is there anyone here that can give me an idea how to or where to look for the oil leak Could it just be that almost 1 year storage is normal for the oil to leak...I doubt it but have to ask. I do have some skill set but need some direction as to what to look for or what to take off of the motor Thank you all in advance, Brian (I live in Sacramento, Ca)

Back