Logo

454 rebuild 330 hp

Pachanga1224

Rebuilding twin 454 with peanut port heads looking to do little upgrades for a little more out of the hole. Ordered a Comp Cam, lifters,Springs 218 / 224 with 112 lube flat tapped does anybody see a problem with this cam working and I was told to have values redone to intakes to 2.19 and exhaust to 1.85 is that worth having done when the head is being worked on.

Thanks mike

You'll probably get a knot or two more out of it at wide open, but don't expect much more than that. You'll be pushing the same hull with the same propellers, so the difference won't be anything you can really feel "seat of the pants". Having the props done is a better investment. This will usually gain you as much as 5 knots at wide open with the same engines/horsepower. You want more speed it will cost several tens of thousand$ and involve forced induction, reprop, and a lot of trimming of fat (not yours, the boat's).
I'd recommend buying reconditioned over rebuilding yourself. It's about 30 to 50 percent more money to do it yourself than just buying replacements.

based on your partial description, the cam isn't much different than the factory cam for the standard production blocks...and appears to be just under the factory performance build.

I am certain you will find the money to upgrade the valve sizes to be a BAD investment.

If you want a better hole shot, I'd suggest you start by making sure the exhaust system breathes very well....

And build them up as 540 or 572 if you're going to the trouble. That will give you the bang you want.

Back