Logo

Mercruiser 4.3 underpowered?

XS POWER

Regular Contributor
Hi I am looking at a 2352 bay liner with a 4.3 carbed mercruiser alpha leg, From my research on these boats they come with a 5.0 liter I haven't sea trialed it yet and won't bother with it if it is underpowered,will it be enough engine thanks

Sounds like a "boat show special", i.e. a boat with the smallest possible engine.... They usually end up on the used boat market when owners are dissatisfied .... If this boat will live in a mostly no wake area, no prob. My boat is a 23 ft cuddy cabin ( 4000 lb dry) with an aggressive deep V hull and is running a 260HP 5.7L engine. Its no speed demon. Bayliners typically have less of a V hull but more super structure.

I want it for fishing. pure ocean boat 4 blokes plus all the gear needed for a day. Cheers mate I thought as much.

I want it for fishing. pure ocean boat 4 blokes plus all the gear needed for a day. Cheers mate I thought as much.
Yeah I think you’d even want something bigger than a 5.0 like a 5.7. I have a 5.0 in my 21 ft bow rider about 250 hp. For sure it good and powerful, as I can pull up skiers with 7 people in the boat, but I think that same engine in a 23 ft with a bunch of gear would be underpowered, let alone a 4.3

Based on my experience and as suggested, Bayliner is one of those manufacturers who produce "affordable" boats.
They are commonly under powered to achieve a low price point. They are also a lower quality boat. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is best quality, Bayliner is a 2-3 at best.
Within a couple years the the vinyl materials will start to show fatigue and failure. The hardware will wear and break.

But on the other hand it is an affordable path to get into boating as a new boater. You can purchase a inexpensive NEW boat and get some fun and experience and then as many do, Upgrade to a better boat that fits your needs.

My rule of thumb for Pleasure boats under 26 ft.

15-17 ft- 4 cylinder

17-19 ft - V6 to V8 (5.0 lx ) Based on weight 5.7 may be needed.

19-22 ft - V8 5.7 or 7.4 (or equivalent newer BBC) depending on weight.

22-26 ft - if SBC 5.7 is used on a larger Cuddy type, A Bravo 2 may be preferred as it will allow a possibly under powered heavier boat to perform more appropriately. Other wise a BBC 7.4 or 8.1 as the power to weight ration allows for better performance, gas usage and less stress on engine.

Just my opinion.

It was shipped over in 06 or 7 apparently when our dollar was 1 for 1,is a 97 or something around there it's got a CCS off a 5.0 on it apparently that's what threw me off, wires hanging off blower don't work electrics don't work noisy gimbal bearing but cheap for a walk around down here just not cheap enough with a underpowered motor,cheers

Dave

RE: .... "the power to weight ratio allows for better performance, gas usage and less stress on engine."
My boat came from the factory with a 4.7 ( 283cid...185HP) V8... factory specs indicated fuel burn @ cruise of 10 gph... By the time I got it, the burn was worse... changing to a 260HP 5.7L (2bbl) dropped my burn to the low 7 gph range and upped cruise by 4-5kts.... Engine loafs along @ 3200 rpm cruise and 17-18 kts... My hull has a 22 degree deadrise .

I have the 4.3 4bbl in a 20' and its adequate but not a speed demon. In a 23' it would be unacceptable. The difference between the 4.3 and the 5.7 is torque. At best the 4.3 puts out about 260 ft lbs whereas the V8 is 300. The HP is not that different.

Cheers fellas. Yea he not getting 35k from me now.
Start looking at some other overpriced under maintained boats, the Joy's of living in the most isolated city on the planet. Thanks for your time

Dave

Back