Logo

is it normal for the IAC to start smoking?; 2006 Horizon 8.1S

outobie

Regular Contributor
I have a 2006 Sea Ray with Mercruiser 8.1S Horizon (Serial number 0W393xxx) with VDrives. That I purchased May 2019 with 700 hours on the original engines. Now the engines have about 860 hours on them.

For the past two seasons (since I’ve owned the boat) the port motor has stalled if idled for 15 minutes or more (starts right back up again)
Last weekend on my way into the dock I got a warning beep and error code on the helm with a “IAC sensor failure” warning and the engine went into limp mode.
Back at the dock with the engine hatch open I restarted the engine (very hard to start; I had to give it throttle to even start which I’ve never had to do before).
I had to keep the engine idled up to about 1000 RPMs to keep it running. I noticed smoke coming from the IAC valve and shut the motor down.

I have just ordered a new IAC, gasket and IAC filter.

what else do you think I need to check if anyhing?

after doing some on line research, I think I’d like to have my PCM inspected to see if any damage was caused to it by the short in the IAC.
I have not had the engine scanned for any codes (I don’t have a scanner).

Is it possible to send my PCM somewhere to test/examine it, to see if anything was damaged? Is this possible without having the engine put on the scanner for other codes?
Apart from the issues mentioned above the engine runs great. The only other thing I can think of is that the engine with the IAC issue burns less fuel than my other one (50 gallons port vs 60 gallons STBD on a typical fill up since I’ve owned the boat).

Thanks for any suggestions on the best course of action!

These things are pretty robust and they don't just roll over and play dead if a sensor fails. I would give Chris a call. He's in New Jersey

replacing the IACs every 4 or 5 years is not too expensive compared to the like new manifolds I just replaced :)

messing with computer's makes me nervous...those things seem very sensitive to voltage. I wouldn't want to create more problems.

Back