Logo

1963 Evinrude 28hp speeditwin coils

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone, I have a 1963 Evinrude speeditwin that I recently took the flywheel off to address my no spark issue, when I did I saw that both of the coils were cracked beyond belief and falling apart. I need help finding this part as I can’t find any part diagrams for this motor. I also am not sure how to get the sparkplug attached to it, it looks like a piece of metal goes into it and makes contact with the wire. Is this correct?

The coils are set to the back edge of the chamferr on top of the mounting post. If the stator plate is in good condition....meaning the hub bushing.....then the gap will be accurate.

For a few bucks more, your getting a better coil. Those ones you found are cheaper quality than Marineengine carries. And guess what....those China coils don't come with free expert advice from techs here totalling thousands of years of experience. I tell you the truth, between guys like Racer, Reeves, Jeff, Galamb, Ricardo, Gator, Pappy, Chris, and Scott.... not to mention yours truly....your looking at about 500 years already, brother.

Last edited:
Those coils you’re looking at come from Shenzhen. I’ve been there a couple of times, a big industrial city just north of Hong Kong. You can get on any Hong Kong Metro to the immigration station,(Shenzhen is mainland China), buy a visa & walk across the bridge.
what if they don’t fit...how are you going to return them?
Do they have any coatings to ensure lifespan in a marine environment?
No one here can tell you if they work because no one has used them, caveat emptor.
I understand cost control, but often the cheapest part turns out to be penny wise & pound foolish.

I look for the best deal as much as anybody. But I consider it to be a matter of common courtesy and morality. You wouldn't walk into a restaurant or other place of business and tell all the customers they can get it cheaper across the street, would you? This is marineengine's store.

The CDI ones on this site at $24.95 appear to be a good choice in my opinion.----Likely good support should something be wrong.-----These coils today are cheaper ( same price ) as they were 50 years ago from factory !!

True and better quality. That coating they used was nasty. Remember starting to drop one cylinder and hear that old familiar "click click click" as she missed.....but always at least get you back to camp. Just a kid, but grew to love 'em.....still do....always will. They gonna have a helluva auction when I check out.....just love to see 'em all out there. I'll make sure they are all running condition so the wife can get top dollar. Be my " going away" present.....probably won't need 'em where I'll be going, so I'm gonna have fun with em while I'm here.

Last edited:
Back