Logo

Alphaone gen1outdrive

Did it hold pressure before you worked on it? what seals,
Using a merc manual its hard to install them backwards, flying by the seat of your pants, maybe

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to sterndrives. I just replaced it. Then found out you can pressurize it.to check. I'm missing something

a waterpump kit comes with the seals installed in the base,wear plates and new gaskets.No reason to replace seals in a used base.
click to enlarge

Last edited:
When pressure testing the lower unit I don't understand how air goes through the oil galley to the water pump. I thought oil was all that went through to the top

I'm not trying to be a pain. I understand the diagram. Where the o ring is the oil galley. How does the air go into the water pump. The oil galley is sealed. Thanks for the help. I'm trying to understand the flow

I'm not trying to be a pain. I understand the diagram. Where the o ring is the oil galley. How does the air go into the water pump. The oil galley is sealed. Thanks for the help. I'm trying to understand the flow
Through the the water pump base seals as BT mentioned above. Check shaft for grooves where seal rides. Replace water pumps base if it leaks.

Lower has oil in it and is pressurized during testing, upper also has oil, small passage connects the, into one oil chamber.

If you have to you can test separately, just put some type of plug in the oil hole but air cannot escape from the pump base unless the shaft is scored, or the seals not installed correctly or the base O ring is missing
click to enlarge

Last edited:
That's great. I will check that out. I do have a lot of boat experience. I have had inboards. Never had an outdrive. New learning curve. I appreciate the help

Back