Logo

Fuel Pump Conversion

Carlasdaddy

Contributing Member
I have a 1958 7.5hp Evinrude that I want to convert to a single-line fuel system using a pump mounted on a by-pass adapter cover. Can anyone give me full instructions to make this conversion?

I already have a pressure tank, but it's super rusty on the inside and I wouldn't trust it to last very long. I can buy a single-hose metal tank for $40 locally

Do you have the double hose female fitting which could to the motor? I will show you how to clean the tank.

Ha....don't get Mr. Scott going again, he has such a great love for pressure tanks. His response regarding pressure tanks had me giggling like a "school girl". Personally, I have been a child in a wooden boat....using pressure tanks in the 1950's. In 1960's my Dad switched to Mercury and at least one motor almost ended up intentionally.....on the lake bottom. Dad never had a problem with pressure tanks at his camp in remote NW Ontario Canada. Actually I grew to love them and began restoring motors at an early age.....and never stoped. The 737 Max is a poorly engineered aircraft, eh? But the pressure tanks are brilliant........the pressure tank has never ever given me, or anyone I know, a problem of explosion.....in my over 50 years of outboard repair and restoration. Now here is the REAL PROBLEM...."SELF VENTED" PLASTIC TANKS.

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_131036411_compress56.jpg
    IMG_20201104_131036411_compress56.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I have many many good pressure tanks here. Almost all of them lack hose and fitting. The fitting is a different size o-ring than the single line units. They are available from almost all supply outfits. I get them from here or Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. 218 682-2331. The siamesed hose is also available too. Let me know what direction you want to go. I, of course, have both 4 gallon tanks and 6 gallon tanks.

I don't need another tank as there are plenty available locally. My original question was how to convert the motor using a by-pass mounted fuel pump which gets the vacuum/pressure thru the cover. Do I still need to plug one side of the check valves? How do I plug the original pressure outlet on the manifold?

If you get your pulses from the bypass cover, the pressure valve system is no longer used. Just remove the air hose from the manifold and plug it. A short piece of plugged hose will work. A golf tee makes a suitable plug.

How much you want for that old fashioned fitting...???? . Some folks throw them out. have a bypass cover for you for free if you sell me the fitting for a reasonable price. Thanks

I already have the by-pass cover. I plan on doing the conversion in the spring. I don't think I want to sell the old style connector right away.

Okay that's okay....you may need parts later on....I can help you. Just please keep me in mind. Thanks. I restore these as running motors. All original condition. Then sell most of them with a 1 year warranty.

They stopped marketing these pressure tanks because many people think they are --" no good and dangerous " -----I for one would rather use a pressure tank than some of the cheap plastic junk available today !!

Amen, Racer, Amen! These plastic tanks are garbage.....why??? I could write a book on em.. Especially these new "self venters".
Not sure why this rotated on me but anyway....these laminated hoses are crap too.

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_131036411_compress56.jpg
    IMG_20201104_131036411_compress56.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'll tell you why they stopped using 'em.....for the same reason they stopped building trucks like these.....they are brilliantly engineered.....and last too long, are too simple, and too practical......just like this smart phone that likes to play with my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_140308188_crop_32.jpg
    IMG_20201208_140308188_crop_32.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Here ya go. Why would I want a truck that's smarter than me? No air bags, no backup camera, no warning buzzers, no collapsing steering column, no anti lock brakes, terrible brakes....front disc only, VERY DANGEROUS. O WELL!.....I tell it what to do, it doesn't tell me. Just as loud as a Harley, but without all the glitter. Low enough to the ground to constantly load and unload....stupid....but simple. Just like those exploding Johnson pressure tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_140308188_compress49_crop_8.jpg
    IMG_20201208_140308188_compress49_crop_8.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back