Logo

1962 Evinrude Speeditwin 28hp issues

Colezay

Regular Contributor
I recently got a 1973 Chrysler valiant with a 1962 Evinrude speeditwin on the back. Some of the issues with it are

top cylinder doesn’t have spark
starter is non existent
the carburetor throttle linkage isn’t connected up, not sure what’s missing with it
stuck between low and start5F48161A-8998-4DEB-8D21-546B09108F6A.jpg7A5FB5DC-2195-4D3F-9267-556A40F75ECF.jpg

I’m probably not going to be replacing the electric start though because none of the systems are there. All the wires for the starter are gone or I can’t see them

Those would have had a junction box INSIDE the boat.-------But if you understand 12 volts and wires it would be easy to hardwire this fine machine.

I can’t seem to find a junction box. Also, do you know what size the flywheel bolt is? I’ve been through my whole toolbox and can’t find one that fits

Electric starter was an accessory kit. Likely never had one. Those motors were sold as a low cost alternative to the 40hp--without all the bells and whistles.

Looks like parts 26, 27, and 28 are missing.

Johnson Carburetor Group Parts for 1962 28hp RX-10 Outboard Motor (marineengine.com)

Yup Bingo! Now all it needs is a carb clean and the points need to be cleaned, maybe new condensers and coils. I fixed the throttle issue, it was a safety mechanism that makes it so you can only go into fast while in forward. so its coming together. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Back