Logo

Motor cant go down and freezing weather approaching

f15radar

Georgia power was doing their 5 year lake drawdown, so I had to take my pontoon boat out. I used a trailer that was too long for the boat so I cannot put the engine in the down position because it would hit the trailer. I need to make sure any water left in my 1988 Mercury outboard. How can I make sure all the water is out without being able to put the engine down.

Yes drop the LU and put it in your house, if you want you can remove the waterpump cover and the impeller which will help it last longer. When you replace it in the spring you should grease the driveshaft and shift shaft splines. I do this every year to prevent theft and extend the impeller's life.

I live in a very small house and if I brought it in my wife would have my head. Is there any other way without dropping the LU? Is there somewhere I could poor antifreeze in? I want to add also that the boat was taken out about a month ago. The freezing temps we are getting are in Georgia and will be below freezing for only 2 nights. During the day it will be above freezing. Is that enough to crack anything?

Last edited:
Use the "muffs" and pour a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze into a hose connected to them while the motor is idling, you can also have someone fog the motor at the same time.
Did this 2 months ago on my friends' boat.
Shame on your wife:)

Hide the gearcase under the guest room bed, good place to stash stuff without detection or can you pull the boat further back on the trailer to trim the engine down?

Back