Logo

BFP60A Ignition fuse problem

MSC17

Just bought this used boat. Engine ran fine at the seller, started fine. Had it detailed in my yard, guy used pressure washer topsides. Now #2 10A ignition fuse blows when trying to engage starter. Can use Trim and ignition ON, but blows when trying to start. Starter does not engage at all. I've opened everything up to air out in case something got wet and is storing. And ideas?

Are you saying that the outboard itself was pressure washed under the hood or that just the interior of the boat was hosed down?

If it was the control panel that got hosed, my first guess would be that the ignition switch is holding water. If you agree, then use WD-40 with the little red spray straw and squirt directly into the key hole. WD-40 displaces water and won't harm the switch.

As a matter of fact, spray it into anything else electrical that you suspect may have gotten soaked with water. Like possibly the starter solenoid or the main relay. It won't hurt anything and will actually act as a lube and moisture barrier.

I've used it for decades to revive swamped car ignition systems.

Good luck.

Back