Logo

Quadrajet Base Gaskets

Scotcraft29

Hi all - I'm new to this forum - hope I can get some help..

I have a 29 Ft ScotCraft boat - with twin Crusader 270 engines. They have ReMfg Rochester Quadrajet Carbs ( 17010213 ) - The Intake Manifold is Spread Bore Plenum - 2 primary and 2 Secondary opening - the secondary bores are connected with a trough between them. They seem to run fine but on the rich side. I have had them tuned to specs but my issue is the Idle Adjusters seem to have no affect on the engine's idle and I get a noticeable gas smell from the exhausts.

The boat is winterized at this time and I pulled the carbs to rebuild on the bench. The kits come with Base Gaskets that are fully open. I am trying to eliminate as many issues as possible so my question is - should I be using a standard spreadbore gasket with 2 Primary and 2 Secondary holes instead of one large opening? I also see base gaskets that are almost 1/4 inch thick to handle heat - are these better than the regular cork type thin gaskets ?

I didn't detect any vacuum leaks on the intakes and I will check the fit on the carbs sections when I rebuild them.

I hope I've given all the info needed.

I value any suggestion here.

Thank you.

Back