Logo

Engine slowing then goes back to full throttle.

good01

Regular Contributor
I have a 2001 Evinrude 225 model # j225vxsif while crossing the bay yesterday engine was running great. Then it started to slow with throttle still in the wide open position. No alarms or warning lights. It never shut off just lost rpm. Ball was still hard. I shut the engine off started it again and engine ran fine the rest of the way. Trolled for 6 hours and started back across and the same thing happened. Just had stator, timer base and all coils replaced.

Boobie, not questioning you. but it slows from 27 mph to around 3 mph. engine is not missing or anything. I am just wondering why it would crank back up and run fine un till I run it hard back across and the run fine again. But I will do the drop test.

Need to stop running it till you find the problem source. It could be running out of fuel due to a VRO problem and that will lean the cylinders along with restricted/contaminated fuel. Is the RPM loss sudden or gradual loss?

No it is gradual. Temp stays at 140 and no warning alarms. Engine never shut down. When we were trolling the smoke coming from the exhaust looked normal. Is it ok to put a original rebuild kit in these or if this is the problem should I just replace the vro.

First I would test run with a portable fuel tank and hose.-----The VRO pump is easy to take apart for inspection.----Inspect it before ordering a repair kit or new pump.

So I did the drop test. No cylinders dropped out. Did a plug check and they looked good. Also changed fuel filter. I cut old filter open nothing really caught my eye. No water. So I decided to swap power packs and that did the trick.

With a timing light and underway. My son operated the boat and I watched if the light flash varied. I did change power packs and that seemed to fix the problem.

No it ran normal. just a drop in rpm and speed. One time I did not even stop I just shut it down and started it right back up and it ran fine back to the dock. No missing or sputtering. Normal temp and no alarms.

Boobie it will be next season. boat was pulled for the winter on Tuesday. I will let you know. I also am thinking about re powering but I want to stay with Evinrude because of the extra expense of controls and such. What is your opinion of the e tec around 250hp.

Back