Logo

Lower unit interchange V6

I was oiut today doing some fine tuning on the carbs and my counter lower unit decided to ventilate forward gear. The motor is 98 175 and I found another lower from a 99 200. All the info i can find points to the fact they should interchange....any reason why not? Are there different gear ratios other than the 1.83 that I'm not aware of? Both lower units have the external pickup screens and look the same but i dont want to make a mistake

Are the different because of the power head? They’re both 25” shafts so why would the lengths be different?

nevermind I just found the lengths are 29.75 for the 200 and 30-11/16 for the 175.

so in that case is there an easy way of swapping the upper shaft without dismantling the whole lower

Yep ...either take to dealer and pay them to pop em out with tool or see below,,
1999 200hp Johnson / remove upper drive shaft (marineengine.com)
So what I gather from that is there’s the omc way which involves taking apart the whole gear case or I can whack it out with a hammer and break the clip....

assuming I did it the 2nd way and swapped the ds are there any consequences to having the shaft not held in with the clip? Like if I just broke both clips and slid the old shaft into the new lower and let it ride?

assuming I did it the 2nd way and swapped the ds are there any consequences to having the shaft not held in with the clip? Like if I just broke both clips and slid the old shaft into the new lower and let it ride?
Nope...splined at top and splined at bottom

I had a DIY bring me his unit and he removed his with a barbell weight and vice grips. He clamped grips on shaft under splines and used weight to hammer out shaft..

To get it rebuilt as it started out a DIY project till he found bearings pitted and water damaged. I was selling him the parts and free tech information when he was doing it...

Back