Logo

Help on lower unit propeller install older Mercury XR2 Black Max

Hi,

recently had a lower unit resealed etc after a difficult time getting the older prop off. Had the original propeller fixed up and rehubbed and fixing to install.

The motor is a older 87 mercury xr2 black max.

I have a thrust washer, the prop, the nut and locking washer.

I noticed after putting on the propeller and spinning it, there is a slight touching on one side every 360 degree. i think this is ok.

but i was wondering if I had the thrust washer on properly and was looking at pictures of others.

In this picture below is a extra part bolted on inside the housing.

IMG_6167.PNG

However on my 87 I dont have that part and wasnt sure if the shop that took the prop off, left it off or what.

IMG_6164.jpg

Am I ok or am i missing that part just off the seals and bolted down with one bolt?

Yours dont use that seal/weed guard. thhe rubbing maybe due the hub not reseated since repair. Install it, torque nut to at least 50 LBS and run it

Added comment to Faztbullet's answer, if I may....: Once you do as he said, prior to running, ensure that you can spin the prop by hand, with no contact of the prop to any part of the LU with pressure on the prop..... pushing forward against the LU, compressing the clutch dog spring.

Explained. F gear has a saw toothed over run capability for instances where the prop is spinning faster than the engine...executed any time you decelerate at any boat speed to amount to anything. This allows the prop to follow the force of the water, not lock up and act like a "boat anchor" putting your teeth in the windshield.

The saw toothed rear of F gear meshes with the spring loaded saw toothed front face of the Clutch Dog that is moved (shuttled) back and forth on the prop shaft by your shifter lever in selecting FNR gears. If you put the shifter in F and rotate the prop, watching carefully, when rotated CW (looking from the rear) the prop will move back and forth about an ⅛-¼". You want to ensure that when power is applied to the prop shaft and prop thrust drives the prop forward this little distance, the prop doesn't rub on anything.

Back