Logo

Changing prop questions

rjfoster03

I am continuing a conversation from an earlier post regarding a new Tohatsu 20 HP long shaft outboard. With the standard 9 pitch prop, slightly over half throttle, I am at the maximum rpm (using a tach with the outboard showing hesitation and the high speed ESG light comes on). Looking at buying a prop to lower the RPMs, the Tohatsu site shows that an 11.5 pitch prop is available. Other online vendors show that a 12 pitch is available.

I wanted to see if going to a 12 pitch would be a good route to go or just stay with the Tohatsu 11.5 pitch.

Also, if going with the 12 pitch, any thoughts on going with stainless verses aluminum?

I have this outboard on a 15 foot jon boat.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Last edited:
Standard prop on the L shaft is 8 or 9 pitch. Yes, the 11.5 will slow it down. There is also a 4-blade 7 pitch 4-blade HT prop which will likely slow it down even more. AL flexes more that SS, but SS costs a lot more.

I may look at the 4 blade prop. If I already have the standard Tohatsu prop on the outboard, do you have to buy any type of hardware kit when changing to a new prop or does the one that is on the outboard fit into the new prop?

I also see that Solas makes a 4 blade prop for the outboard. If I go this route, will the OEM hardware fit into the Solas prop?

Last edited:
Back