Logo

2004 6.0 Turns over, won't start, no alarm/buzzer

OnPlaneDrifter

Hello,

Just because it's one of those weeks, my port engine won't start. I turn the key, no audible alarm but the engine turns over but simply won't start. Any usual suspect? Could it be the kill switch for gear shift on the v-drives?

Thanks!

No, your safety switch should keep the starter from engaging if you are NOT in neutral.

Could be lack of fuel or lack of spark...you'll have to troubleshoot it to see which is the issue. checking the fuel pressure in the rail is probably the best starting point.

The lack of alarm is likely the low oil pressure switch...and that's a separate circuit...that said, if it is the independent version, they are usually wired to the ignition switch's RUN (ignition) terminal...

No, your safety switch should keep the starter from engaging if you are NOT in neutral.

Could be lack of fuel or lack of spark...you'll have to troubleshoot it to see which is the issue. checking the fuel pressure in the rail is probably the best starting point.

The lack of alarm is likely the low oil pressure switch...and that's a separate circuit...that said, if it is the independent version, they are usually wired to the ignition switch's RUN (ignition) terminal...

So to add to the mystery... I put the port engine into full throttle cranked it and pulled the throttle back to idle while cranking...alarm and error lights lit up. Stopped cranking and then re-cranked and it fired up.

So to add to the mystery... I put the port engine into full throttle cranked it and pulled the throttle back to idle while cranking...alarm and error lights lit up. Stopped cranking and then re-cranked and it fired up.

Just thinking outloud... Not sure that a TPS sensor would stop the engine from starting (perhaps it was sending no signal, so the engine thought that it should be receiving no gas?)?, but it sounds like the only thing you altered between no start and start, was the TPS. You may want to look into that. Usually the TPS has a "spot" that goes bad, but if that spot is "0" then maybe no start?

The alternate explanation, is that maybe it was running rich, or possibly time for a tuneup. Opening the throttle also opens the throttle body, allowing more air to get into the engine while cranking. Perhaps that additional air helped the engine start.

Back