Logo

1996 Mercury Offshore Stator Compatibility issue

Fletcha221

Hello,

I have a 1996 Mercury 225 offshore (225 HP (3.0L Carburetor) > 0D280813 - 0G760299). The stator has failed. The proper part number is 398-821935A 3. However, this is NLA. It has the part number 398-821935A 5 as its replacement. HOWEVER, the connectors are different. The old stator plugged into the 12 pin harness, and the stator is the "female" side of the connection. on the new stator (398-821935A 5) the stator is male only 6 pin, and all the white wire leads go to a post connection that looks like it may go to ground? Has anyone had to chance the engine harness to work the wiring of the new stator? Is there a method for wiring this new stator?

It looks like the green leads from the new stator are color coded so they go to the right coil/ cylinder. Also on the new stator, as I stated above, has all the white wires going to a post connector which I assume would go to ground? The old harness had all 12 wires going into the connector, and all wires dent directly to the coils.

Is it as simple as the white leads are all ground? As in the old harness, the stator coils were actually grounded through the harness, and the new one has them grounded to the block?

Here is a picture of the old stator

a13.jpg

Here is a picture of the new:

A5.jpg

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Whatever you do, don't modify it in any way until you get more information.

Have you contacted the CDI company and asked if they can help you? Very good outfit.

Jeff

Thats a 1994 ignition system and no it will not work. The white wires are for the ignition ECM and CDM modules as stator will drive both if ECM fails.

Dang! I was studying the wiring in the repair manual last night, and I had the feeling there was something else to it.

What are my options here? I checked CDI, they no longer make the part. Does anyone else make replacements?

Man, if you had one, that would be really helping me out. I can't understand how no one makes these? Looks like both Merc and CDI no longer make the part.

I've gone through this motor, and most everything is new or rebuilt. Up until the stator failed, she was awesome. I have a 21 Hydra sports, and the 225 pushes her to 51 MPH. Furthermore, the carb motor only weighs 489 pounds, which is great for my boat.

Here is what I got...all bobbins measure 1076-1089 and off a running motor that blew. Been in shed for about a year.. PM me..:cool:

stator.jpgstator1.jpg

Well all, hate to say it....the stator wasn't the issue. My mechanic seems to think the flywheel has gone bad (apparently magnets are glued into the flywheel?

Has anyone experienced this?

When we broke down, running at 4k rpm, engine just stopped. There was no poor running, just stopped like someone turned the key to "off".

The motor comes to life for a split second (sometimes) and hunts around and stalls. It wont stay running. All cylinders have spark (but i'm guessing the timing is off or the spark is weak), all cylinders have equal PSI. There is fuel, and all floats in the carbs are working correctly.

The house systems on the boat are 100 percent mutually exclusive. I have removed the neutral safety switch .The batteries are good, all grounds and hot leads are clean and secure. (cleaned and retightened). I pulled a gallon of fuel, there is no water in the fuel. All coils are tested. Carbs have been rebuilt, and did a link and sync I have replaced the following:

1.Crank position sensor (correctly gapped to factory spec)
2. NOS matching CDM (ECU)
3. Tested used stator
4. Mercury Key switch
5. Starter Solenoid
6. Starter
7. plugs

Any insight?

Last edited:
I THOUGHT the stator failed. Replaced it with a tested used one from Faztbullet. The stator was not the issue.

Checked CDI, they no longer make a replacement for this stator.

Back