Logo

Piston interchange?

Motorfish

Hi guys. I'm rebuilding a 1974 50hp evinrude 50473m, the bottom cylinder ate a ring, the piston and head are gonners. I found replacement heads pretty easy to source. Pistons...ehhh, not so much maybe. This is my first outboard and I'm still learning the good spots for old parts.The cylinder miraculously looks much better, prolly not dead but should prolly be bored over. I have the service manual with part numbers (gunna put them below for ease of use)for both standard and .030. So are there other pistons that will work? Like an interchange list somewhere that anyone know of? Do they usually come with the wrist pin and rings? Also rebuild or gasket kits anywhere? I've come across them for newer engines, that would be cool. Sorry, I'm used to SBChevys where I find parts in my junk drawer sometimes and everything works with anything. Thanks for any help it's very much appreciated. Ima take this thing fishing wether it likes it or not.

Piston- 386094. .030- 386097
Rings- 385798. 385799

Thanks racerone, that's what my preliminary search indicated. Few hits for the pistons out there. 50 year old engine makes sense.
Marine engine is a pretty nice research tool. The parts diagram and P/N reference by model number is very handy.
Anyone know if there is a year set for these internals which they used the same parts?

Back