Logo

Alpha 1 Gen 2 lower gear oil

ncsufan35

I have a 2007 Sea Ray 185 Sport with a 4.3 engine and an Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I have changed the impeller and reinstalled the lower unit. While filling the gear case I noticed some gear oil coming from the starboard outlet hole. Should this happen or have I done something wrong on the install. I followed the manual I have completely. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

if you mean you had gear oil coming out of the water inlet holes, I'd say something went wrong.

Did you change just the impeller or the entire housing of the water pump ??

If it’s coming out water pick up holes that’s indicative of a leak maybe putting the lower back into the upper can damage the upper gear case seal. There’s also a small quad ring between the halves. Might be worth draining and pressure testing

I have a 2007 Sea Ray 185 Sport with a 4.3 engine and an Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I have changed the impeller and reinstalled the lower unit. While filling the gear case I noticed some gear oil coming from the starboard outlet hole. Should this happen or have I done something wrong on the install. I followed the manual I have completely. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dieter is in the right area. Sometimes the little square shaped "O" ring that sits on top of the bottom half of the OD comes out of its position when you mate the 2 halves. Did you use the old one or replace it?

Back