Logo

Choke issues

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
Took my boat in because it was running rough and they rebuilt the carb. Runs great now but they removed the bi-metal choke spring saying it was stuck and couldn’t be fixed. It’s a Kodiak Marine 350 and looks pretty identical to the mercruiser I used to have.

My question is about starting without a working choke. Once started and warm it will run great and start immediately all day long. It is a bit tough to start first thing in the morning though. What’s the best way to start a cold carbed engine without a choke? Any tips?

Robert

The point of a choke is to create a rich mix. It does that by keeping the choke plate partially closed allowing more fuel than normal. You might try the old timer trick of pumping the gas. Give the handle three full forward strokes (key off) before attempting to start. That'll shoot some gas into the carb throat via the accelerator pump on the carb. If it doesn't light up right away, don't pump it any more than three more times as you'll "flood" it; meaning there's too much wet gas in the plenum and bores. Wait ten minutes and try again without pumping.
Rather surprised that the shop would hand you back a boat that was only partially repaired and give you some story about not being able to fix it. Doesn't sound right.

Perhaps that shop is unfamiliar with marineengine.com so they can't find the part number and order the choke parts

Perhaps that shop is unfamiliar with marineengine.com so they can't find the part number and order the choke parts

They got me in quick but needed my boat out of there the same day due to needing room for another boat. That or it was going to be a month until they could get me in. They didn’t have the parts to fix the choke so unhooked it instead so it would run ok. I just wanted to know the best way to start it until I can get a new choke.

Robert

Oh, that's awfully kind of them to give you half a day and half a repair.
Can you show us a picture? Chances are that you can get a new part and install it yourself (with guidance from your friends here on this forum if needed) without much fuss.

I might be able to purchase an all electric choke conversion kit (try the internet). I have used them in the past and they work well.

Jeff

You can tywrap the choke open, and work the throttle 2 or 3 times, start the engine and "tickle" the throttle to keep it running for about 10 seconds and it will settle down and run at a slightly increased idle setting untill it warms.
Electric choke replacement is the way to go.

Took my boat in because it was running rough and they rebuilt the carb. Runs great now but they removed the bi-metal choke spring saying it was stuck and couldn’t be fixed. It’s a Kodiak Marine 350 and looks pretty identical to the mercruiser I used to have.

It sounds as though you have/had what is referred to as a divorced choke, in that the helix is located in a pocket within the intake manifold, and is then connected to the choke plate linkage.

Example only:

shopping

My question is about starting without a working choke. Once started and warm it will run great and start immediately all day long. It is a bit tough to start first thing in the morning though. What’s the best way to start a cold carbed engine without a choke? Any tips?

As o2batsea suggests, move the throttle lever several times as to activate the carburetor's accelerator pump.
Each time that the throttle is advanced, the accelerator pump will spray small streams of fuel directly into each primary throttle bore.
This enrichens the fuel/air mixture, allowing for a greater chance of combustion in a cold engine.

Robert

As with Mark, I too am surprised that they didn't replace the bi-metal coil and get it working again.

As Jeff suggests, look into getting an electric unit retro-fit kit.
These are called "electric chokes", but in reality, they are an "electric un-choke".

To clarify an earlier statement:

A closed or partially closed choke plate actually restricts incoming air flow.
This air restriction allows each cylinder to pull greater negative pressure against the fuel metering circuits, therefore increasing the fuel to air ratio.

By operating the accelerator pump, we can create a similar scenario, but it's only effective if we continue doing so.

Whereas with a choke, the choke plate restricts air flow (enrichening the mixture), then it progressively opens (progressively leaning out the mixture) as the need diminishes.

Last edited:
To start which carb do you have? If its a Quadrajet you can still get those choke coils, check Cliff's Quadrajet site or Quadrajet Parts. There are also electric conversions that can work well. They tend to open up quite a bit faster than the well type (divorced) choke that is heated by the exhaust cross over. In a hot climate you can do without a choke but here for sure I'd want a functioning choke.

B3BD9FBB-F87C-46BA-967C-BF316164388C.jpeg

Here is a pict. I live in Southern California so it never gets super cold. I can get it started by cranking for 5 seconds or so then pumping 3 times then cranking again with some throttle. At least I can the few times I’ve tried since it returned from the shop. It runs much better/smoother than before. If I can get it started like this is and it runs smoothly/starts all day is there any harm in keeping things as is?

Robert

View attachment 25564

Here is a pict. I live in Southern California so it never gets super cold. I can get it started by cranking for 5 seconds or so then pumping 3 times then cranking again with some throttle. At least I can the few times I’ve tried since it returned from the shop. It runs much better/smoother than before. If I can get it started like this is and it runs smoothly/starts all day is there any harm in keeping things as is?

Robert

its fine to leave as long as choke is forced open like shown. I ran for several years like this until I was able to find a reasonable $$ electric choke element. I would just pump it prior to cold start and leave a fast idle til it warmed up.

You can leave it like that in a warm climate as long as the choke plate is wired to stay open. In places where the boating season is cool weather in the beginning and end you really want a working choke to prevent hard starting and stalling. It is very easy to fix nothing more than finding the right choke coil spring. Doing that is simpler that installing an electric choke. Contact either Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets or Quadrajet Parts and order the correct spring and linkage rod with the little retainer clips. Very simple I don’t understand why a competent shop would not do this...too lazy to find the right parts for a 30+ year old carb I guess. Carburetor Parts does sell an electric conversion..

How cold a climate is too cold to keep it wired open and how do I find out the replacement part I need? All I know is that the engine is a Kodiak marine 350 and 25 to 30 years old. I know where the spring and cover are but don’t know how to find the correct replacement.

Robert

Get the carb # off the side of the carb and contact the 2 leads I gave you above.

Most carbs have a red or green aluminum numbered tag on one of the top cover screws. It will get you the right part. Make sure that the cross over in the intake is not blocked with carbon and grime. It will have to be cleaned thoroughly if you stay with the same choke. You may have to take the intake off and have it cleaned at a radiator shop...go with the electric choke!

Back