Logo

Johnson 90 HP 1985 J90TLCOS Electrical Doozy

Yep removed the side nearest to terminal as it was easiest to access. Moved piston up and down. Actually very shiny and moved quite well. The rings looked good. Will report back about other side. Could a stuck ring have just finally been worked free? The flywheel spins quite easily.

I'm home from wood hauling/deliveries. To me the cylinders look good. Perhaps some rust, but not severe. Did you continue to use your original compression gauge? Are the latest readings from that gauge? If really going to get 115 in all cylinders, not the worst I've seen. As Racer suggests, remove other 3 covers and check for freeness of rings and any lines/scoring on pistons. Right, maybe some things were stuck from lite rust. JB 80 loosened up and lubed. My guess is that you can check under the covers, confirm decent piston/ring condition....then button things up with a new set of head and cover gaskets, then check compression again. You may find 115 to 125...this has, of course been rebuilt. Then you can correct a few other problems as we go.

Last edited:
Yeah thats the plan, i know its taboo to use old gaskets. Ive only checked on side of valve covers as i didnt have time yesterday to remove the solenoid to look at the other side. I may get some gasket material to have on hand to cut new gaskets. Then ill rechecl compression. Ive got the tool on loan for the time being but may just have to keep it. Pretty handy little device.

Yeah thats the plan, i know its taboo to use old gaskets. Ive only checked on side of valve covers as i didnt have time yesterday to remove the solenoid to look at the other side. I may get some gasket material to have on hand to cut new gaskets. Then ill rechecl compression. Ive got the tool on loan for the time being but may just have to keep it. Pretty handy little device.

Thanks for all the help youve provided so far. I have a question about the recfitifer, my 1985 does not seem to have one at all. It should be located next tot the terminal strip right?

Nope----Your motor did not have just the rectifier.-----Power trim / tilt models came with a rectifier / voltage regulator.----It is water cooled and mounted on top of the block near the back !!

Why are you concerned about the rectifier? Your compression#s are what need attention. I would not buy a set of gaskets for that motor reusing then head gaskets for another compression test is fine.

Last edited:
I was just curious. Im trouble shooting an electrical problem if i can get the compression up. Just a thought i had laying awake last night, figured id ask you knowledgeable folks. Okay so no new gaskets? Just button up and retest?

I was just curious. Im trouble shooting an electrical problem if i can get the compression up. Just a thought i had laying awake last night, figured id ask you knowledgeable folks. Okay so no new gaskets? Just button up and retest?
No electrical problem is going to affect your compression #s unless the starter turns to slow.

So i put everything back together. 120 on top left and right pistons. 90/95 on bottom 2. Its really weird. Ive got the same resistance with the plugs back in that i did before. When i turn the wheel i hear a pressure sound(unsure of how to describe sort of like a plunger sounds) coming from the lower reed valves on the carb.

So i put everything back together. 120 on top left and right pistons. 90/95 on bottom 2. Its really weird. Ive got the same resistance with the plugs back in that i did before. When i turn the wheel i hear a pressure sound(unsure of how to describe sort of like a plunger sounds) coming from the lower reed valves on the carb.
The pressure sound is normal. I would look for a different motor if I was you.

Okay good to know. I should say i did a fonal compression test and really made sure to screw it in all the way and make good connections with all amd i got 120 all around so im not ready for a new motor just yet. Im going to remove the lower unit tomorrow or this weekend. Ill post the results in case it helps someone else

Okay good to know. I should say i did a fonal compression test and really made sure to screw it in all the way and make good connections with all amd i got 120 all around so im not ready for a new motor just yet. Im going to remove the lower unit tomorrow or this weekend. Ill post the results in case it helps someone else
Well 120 is good, did you get those #s after you put oil in? If so redo the compression test tomorrow. If not put new gaskets on and work on the other problems.

Im thinking that there was some oil in there from lubing the ither day. Im gonna try it in the am. Problem is, assuming compression is good, why the heck cant the flywheel spin without some serious muscle being applied? The prop seems to spin as it should in f and r nothing in neutral. You think something in the lower unit could be causing this? Im skeptical about that cause the flywheel spins great with the plugs out.

Im thinking that there was some oil in there from lubing the ither day. Im gonna try it in the am. Problem is, assuming compression is good, why the heck cant the flywheel spin without some serious muscle being applied? The prop seems to spin as it should in f and r nothing in neutral. You think something in the lower unit could be causing this? Im skeptical about that cause the flywheel spins great with the plugs out.
Take the lower unit off.

Agreed, need to check impeller anyway. Confirm that lower unit isn't binding. Might just be that it has good compression and is hard to turn by hand. If it is hard to turn with the electric start then perhaps the starter is getting weak and may need brushes. Racer mentioned this earlier, but not sure it was in this post.

So thanks guys for the help. Last night i took the battery cable hooked it up, ran hit lead to starter bypassing solenoid and used the ground for an on off switch. Damn things turned right over! Im posting this at the risk of being roasted by you guys but hey! I learned a whole lot about this engine and really appreciate all the help. Ive got one boot no producing spark but i hope to solve that and fire it up for the first time today

Compression at 90 psi isn't the greatest BUT all cylinders being even indicates that the low reading may be due to a slow cranking engine OR a defective gauge. The battery and starter MUST be in ideal condition (You state they are newly replaced), and "all" ends of the wiring and cables, including the battery terminals and the black ground cable at the powerhead must be absolutely shining clean... including the components they attach to.... Anything less results in a voltage drop that in turn results in a slow cranking engine.

If that 20amp fuse blows with the key in the OFF position and only when the large RED electrical connector is plugged together....Disconnect one battery lead temporarily, then...................

1 - Remove that 20amp fuse... Now, with a volt meter set to register 12v, insert that meter in place of the fuse (between the two wire ends).

2 - Make a note, a accurate diagram, of the color of the wires that are attached to whatever markings on the ignition switch (B, S, C, A, raised M, reg M).

3 - With the exception of the "B" (battery voltage) wire, remove the rest of the wires from the ignition switch. (Only after making the above diagram!)

4 - Reattach the battery cable to the battery. The voltage meter should NOT move... Does it? If not continue....

5 - If so far, so good... With the key in the "OFF" position... One by one, take whatever wire should be attached to a certain lettered terminal... and touch that terminal with that wire while watching the Voltage Meter...... when the meter registers 12v, you've found the wire that is shorting out and causing the fuse to blow.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I think ive narrowed it down (with some help) to a pin in the amphenol connector thats burned up. Researching options to repair or replave now.

Quick update. Finally got her running. Sounds great. Thinking of converting thenred amphenol plug to Deutsch connector to solve electrical issue

So how was the impeller and lower unit? My guess is you didn't check em yet.....hope you did, however.

Youre right i havent checked it yet. I am still stuck on the electrical problem. I have 12.7v at starter but it just clicks when i turn the key. Good continuity on ground running to boat side wiring harness, cleaned main ground, cleaned main battery cables, put a new solenoid on, made sure battery was fully charged but still just getting a click I really would like to solve the electrical problem first but i am stumped

I tool the original starter iff and tried cleaning but to no avail so I replaced. Ive got 12.7 v all the way to the starter but when i turn tbe key inky the primer clicks not the solenoid and the starter doesnt spin. I can jump the starter ans bypass the solenoid but i cant statt with a key because something goofy is goin on with the solenoid. I get 12.7 v when cranking through yellow red wire, ive got good continuity and its a new solenoid.

Does that have a key that "pushes in" for choke/primer? Maybe the wires are reversed between the two terminals at the ignition switch. Will it crank over, if you push the key straight in while it's in "on" position?

So i just solved that. When the boat was sold to me it had a solenoid with the bracket style. I traced with multimeter, found it to be faulty, replaced it wirh the same style sierra marine solenoid with bracket. Still nothing. I then ran leads from battery to both small posts on each solenoid and bith tested bad. I then discovered an old solenoid in a bix under the seat and when bench tested it clicked. So i installed that and i can now crank via key. Im thinking maybe the brackets +ground wire were messing things up. What do you think

So the solenoid under the seat also had 2 small posts? Is there a wire going to both small posts then? Is one wire grounded which goes to one of the small posts?

Last edited:
Back