Logo

Ethanol vs Ethanol Free?

That is the liner from inside the fuel lines that has degraded...and E10 does not attract moisture from the air.
Well sir, the first time I encountered the problem, I too thought that the hose was the culprit. So I cut off a section of the OEM Merc, slick grey silicon looking fuel line and dissected it. I could have missed something, but I could not see where there was any indication of any abnormality on the interior of the line. If it was the line itself, as I had originally assumed, I would have "surely" seen variations in the surface indicating where some areas were more susceptible than others and had a different surface texture as a result.

However, the chips were arcs in nature indicating to me that either the fuel line was doing as you say or the fuel itself, was plating the wall of the hose. Course one asks the question, why just the wall and not the whole cross sectional area if it's the fuel and not decomposition of the hose? I don't know. I don't know that the hose is in fact silicon, seems to be, and don't have a list handy of what materials cause it to degrade, nor if not silicon, what it is and what makes it degrade. I do know that silicon oil makes rubber gaskets and hoses swell.

I will never use that hose again....really don't care what caused it. All I know that I couldn't get gas into my 25 horse....late October....NW Ontario.....not a soul within 20 miles.....getting dark......15 mile boat ride ahead in 35 degree weather.....wife and son and dog in the boat.....l said WTF....cut hose off with my supertool.....and BINGO! I want to add that it was a used hose that came with a motor I bought....so not sure if it had ethanol or not.....but I really think so, because the seller was a regular Minnesota pump gas user.

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg
    IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Never use any of the gray fuel line it is all garbage.
Well, why is Merc/QS currently offering it with the oval bulb that was condemned by dealers/mechanics/users for years in favor of the Merc/QS diamond shaped bulb as an OEM replacement. Makes no sense!!!!!

I'll tell you one thing: The check valve in the new OEM replacement totally SUCKS!!!!!! I went to ebay and bought an aluminum cased check valve for about $8, installed it between the bulb and the tank and solved my fuel leaking back into the tank problem occurring with my brand new OEM replacement oval bulb. Also, when priming for an outing, it pumps up with 2 or 3 squeezes, not pump and pump for half an hour trying to get fuel up to the engine from the BI tank! Also when fishing and shutting the engine off for 15-20 min. to work a spot, restarts are immediate with no having to use fast idle, or do any pumping.

Thanks.....is this the one? They have a rating of nearly 5 stars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-081959.jpg
    Screenshot_20201124-081959.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 37
Well, why is Merc/QS currently offering it with the oval bulb that was condemned by dealers/mechanics/users for years in favor of the Merc/QS diamond shaped bulb as an OEM replacement. Makes no sense!!!!!

I'll tell you one thing: The check valve in the new OEM replacement totally SUCKS!!!!!! I went to ebay and bought an aluminum cased check valve for about $8, installed it between the bulb and the tank and solved my fuel leaking back into the tank problem occurring with my brand new OEM replacement oval bulb. Also, when priming for an outing, it pumps up with 2 or 3 squeezes, not pump and pump for half an hour trying to get fuel up to the engine from the BI tank! Also when fishing and shutting the engine off for 15-20 min. to work a spot, restarts are immediate with no having to use fast idle, or do any pumping.
It's cheap, That question is not even worthy of a scooby doo mystery.

Back