Logo

Ethanol vs Ethanol Free?

Beautiful. And this doesn't even mention damage to rubber and many types of plastics. Performance and economy suffers as well.....around 3 to 4 percent. Ethanol belongs in your everyday driver.....unless your like me, with a 74 pickup.

Check this out.
https://premierwatersports.net/how-to-protect-your-yamaha-outboards-from-ethanol/
For me....especially with remote camps in NW Ontario, as well as many many different outboards and tanks, stored for months and years here in a very seasonal northern MN......I recommend avoiding ethanol all together. It's terribly hygroscopic and in moist environments, especially boating.....not for me. It's ruined too much equipment already. I have non oxy....or as some call "clear petrol", that is still great after even 10 years outside storage.
Ethanol is not for me, or my stuff. Customers who use ethanol, void my one year repair warranty.
https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/higher-ethanol-fuel-and-classic-cars-dont-mix

This thread should be moved up above to "Fuel/Mixture".....tell you what....I CAN FILL IT WITH FACTS AND PHOTOS. How many VROs have been destroyed with it? Got a 40 horse block right here.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_232236_compress95.jpg
    IMG_20201110_232236_compress95.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Minnesota was the very first state mandated to "choke down" ethanol. That's why I have so much experience at dealing with it. 10 percent minimum ethanol in fuels.....except "clear non oxy".......since year 2012.....however, Minnesota began ethanol use in most fuels starting in 2000. Sadly, without knowing....it found its way into many of my vintage cars/trucks.....destroying tanks, lines, carbs and in another case, a hard to find Polaris Mustang 488 motor.....my stupid mistake. Early ethanol was not marked on pumps....not like today, where it's mandatory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-103029.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-103029.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
JEEEZ here we go again with the doom and gloom squad. Ethanol baaaad bunch of fear mongering which real life facts don't support!. Most car fuel pumps spend there life submerged in E10 and how many problems do they have. The new fuel that local small engine shops sell for $8 a quart that is supposed pure gas and the best there is. If you read the back of that it states you have 90 days from when you open it to when it goes bad. 30 or 40 yrs ago ethanol was a problem but nowadays not so much. People like to blame all the world's engine problems on ethanol me not so much. I run it consistently and my rebuilds last well more than a yr on it I also don't feel the need to void warranties over it. If I did my job correctly the motor should no issues running e10. I also do not know of any manufacturers that state that E10 voids the warranty. As far as the pics to unless both bores look like that probably not a VRO problem.

Last edited:
Your in Wisconsin, so probably now #1 ethanol state. You guys make more ethanol than us. Just saying it's not for me, and I don't recommend it for my customers.....I have HAPPY customers. Happy customers....and I'm happy....not burning ethanol. It goes in my worthless rusty junker disposable Dodge Caliber.....and even THAT chokes on it.

Last edited:
Back