Logo

my 59 johnson 10hp

Right. I often see 3/8" crackle on these old relics......that's with new coils, points, condensers, and proper set up. Plug wires could be bad by now too. Remember, ALL coils for these are cracked and arcing to stator plate.....if they are the originals. Secondly, the wires are to be copper core and pushed or SCREWED into the coils. Make sure coils are set to inside edge of the taper at the top of the mounting pedestals. Lubricate point follower wick with a drop of oil and or wipe a tiny amount of grease on back edge of cam follower there on the points. ALSO you must be certain to put a little lubricant on the points pivot pin and carefully set points for nice square contact with each other. This might mean a little surgical precision with hemostats. Once together, providing upper crank seal isn't leaking out oil.....you will never touch things again for 10 to 20 years......maybe longer. Put it together like you really mean it.

Right. I often see 3/8" crackle on these old relics......that's with new coils, points, condensers, and proper set up. Plug wires could be bad by now too. Remember, ALL coils for these are cracked and arcing to stator plate.....if they are the originals. Secondly, the wires are to be copper core and pushed or SCREWED into the coils. Make sure coils are set to inside edge of the taper at the top of the mounting pedestals. Lubricate point follower wick with a drop of oil and or wipe a tiny amount of grease on back edge of cam follower there on the points. ALSO you must be certain to put a little lubricant on the points pivot pin and carefully set points for nice square contact with each other. This might mean a little surgical precision with hemostats. Once together, providing upper crank seal isn't leaking out oil.....you will never touch things again for 10 to 20 years......maybe longer. Put it together like you really mean it.

I replaced condensers and points, coils after testing them with a multi meter seems to be ok. I did replace the plug wires but I used automotive wires, maybe I should use oem replacement wires?

I replaced condensers and points, coils after testing them with a multi meter seems to be ok. I did replace the plug wires but I used automotive wires, maybe I should use oem replacement wires?

So you tested the coils with a multimeter. That only tells us half the story. Are they old, dried out, cracked or brittle? ALL, as in ALL 1959 Omc twins have bad coils unless they have already been replaced. Have they? You are wasting your time if they haven't.

Back