Logo

Advice with a 1999 Mercury Mariner 90HP with corrosion

Hashburyfl

I have this 90HP Mariner engine and for the most part it seems to run good. I am no where close to being an expert on outboards.
In one of the pics I have a piece that looks like maybe it should be connected to something, but I'm not sure.

copy20201113_170001.jpg

The second pic shows a lot of corrosion and it has me a bit nervous. Can someone tell me what this part is called and the effects it could have on my engine if i dont replace it? Or is it possible to sand it down and paint it? Im also curious as to what the metal ring is as im fairly sure it shouldn't be sitting there?

copy20201113_172112.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Welcome aboard. The first picture seems normal and very clearly shows a cam follower. Can you identify the part you think should be connected?
Second picture is the yolk which is rusty to the point that the retainer/keeper ring dropped out. That part should be removed and examined to see if the keeper ring area is too rusty to hold the ring. If it can be cleaned, refinished and able to hold the keeper, then you are good. Otherwise, of course, replace the rusted parts. If you can't find them here, and/or for a reasonable price, then call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN and ask Theresa, Mike, or Dan to help. 218 682 2331.
For loosening the rusty fasteners, try using my favorite rust buster....a fresh 50/50 mix of acetone and lite oil, like ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. The first picture seems normal and very clearly shows a cam follower. Can you identify the part you think should be connected?
Second picture is the yolk which is rusty to the point that the retainer/keeper ring dropped out. That part should be removed and examined to see if the keeper ring area is too rusty to hold the ring. If it can be cleaned, refinished and able to hold the keeper, then you are good. Otherwise, of course, replace the rusted parts. If you can't find them here, and/or for a reasonable price, then call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN and ask Theresa, Mike, or Dan to help. 218 682 2331.
For loosening the rusty fasteners, try using my favorite rust buster....a fresh 50/50 mix of acetone and lite oil, like ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Thanks for the help on this, I got it temporarily fixed for now.

Back