Logo

Nissan 115 Fuel Injected 2 Cycle

NFRAK

Have a pontoon boat with a 115 Nissan (I think 2004).

Back in June took out and left me stranded, feels like fuel pump went out.

Boat taken to two Marina's first was unable to correct problem.

Second place: new fuel pump, and some new grommets.

Put back in the water, starts right up, runs fine at low and high speeds.
Coming back into the slip, place into neutral. About 20 seconds later engine spikes to 6000 rpms on its own. I kill the engine.

Next day start the engine idles fine for 5 minutes, Take the boat out for a 10 minute ride, runs great. Place into neutral and 20 seconds later rpms spike to 6000 again.

Any thoughts on where the problem is. Thanks

I take it you have a TLDI MD115A. Year is irrelevant. Is the throttle cable connected correctly? There are two fuel pumps on these; a low-pressure pump, and an FFP (fuel feed pump) for the high pressure side. Which was changed, and how was it diagnosed? The throttle body should never advance on its own.
002-21053-0_FIG07.jpg

Paul
Thanks for the information.
Boat was purchased in June.
I really have no history on the boat or motor.
Took it out for two days in June. 2nd day got 100 yards from slip and started to sputtered than died.
Got towed back in. Took to the boat yard where there is a small repair shop. They identified the problem as a the fuel pump.
New pump (Im assuming high pressure pump0 was installed. The shop was unable to get the engine to start after putting in the new fuel pump. The mechanic stated that he was unfamiliar with the engine and I needed to take it somewhere else. Found a larger marina about 90 minutes away. They are familiar with Nissan Tohatsu engines. They had the boat 2 1/2 months. Replaced the fuel regulator, several grommets, o rings. They tested the engine by running it at idle for 40 minutes with no problems.

Place back in water, starts right up, take it out for a 25 minute ride, engine runs great. As I get close to the marina place throttle in neutral. After 20 seconds the rpms jump over 5000 rpms. Immediately kill the engine. Every time trying to restart engine immediately goes up over 5500 rpms. I was able to drift to the pier and get the boat onto the lift.

Next day, down to the boat, starts right up and idles at 800 to 1000 rpms for 15 minutes, while at the pier. Take the boat out for 10 minutes, runs great however same issue as the day before getting back into the marina. The throttle handle is not being touched when the rpms spike.

Somehow fuel and air is getting dump into the engine after running for a short time.
I intend to get the boat out of the water the end of this week.
I have located a Tohatsu Service Marina outside of Baltimore. At this point my options are 1. Give them a shot at it, or 2. Probably look at a new engine probably Suzuki.

Again thanks for the reply.

Over 10 grand for a new motor. I would check to see if something is wrong with the linkage for the throttle body.

Back