Logo

A few quick questions for winterizing for the 1st time and a battery charging question.

Smgbad

I am a new (to me) boat owner with a 1993 Johnson 140 Looper. I have a few questions as to general maintenance and winterizing as the colder weather starts moving in.

What is the easiest way for me to protect the engine from winter damage? It will be sitting outside with the top half of the engine (down to the skeg area) covered up with a boat cover.

I was told that I should keep the engine trimmed in so water can't collect in the exhaust and freeze (thereby expanding and causing major damage).

Also, since this is an outboard, I'm assuming 2 cylinders are "exposed" to outside air/conditions at all times, so I was thinking of stuffing the exhaust ports with sponges or a rag or something to help stop it from rusting the interior of the head.

I was planning on running it about every two weeks for 5 minutes or so, and keeping both sets of batteries on a charger overnight about once a month or so (instead of bringing all 4 indoors).

Is this all wrong? Anything I should be doing thats not mentioned?

Keep it trimmed down. Make sure batteries are charged. No need to start it really. Nothing much to winterizing an outboard other then leaving it in the down position. We frequently run ours here in below freezing temps.

Back