Logo

Mercury 2020 V6 3.4L- Speedometer does not start working until ~20mph. Dealer says: NORMAL?

dmorris

Hi, I am new to this forum and outboard motors in general.

I have a 2020 Regency LE3 (23') Sport tritoon with a new Mercury V-6 3.4L 225hp (Model 12250005A). It is connected to a Mercury SmartCraft speedometer. The speed is measured through the pitot tube only.

The speedometer does not record speed until at least 20mph every time I take it out. However, once it starts reading speed it will work fine at all speeds (even below 5 MPH) until I shut it down or anchor for a bit. The SmartCraft gauge has a miles per hour (MPH) mode that allows me to trim the motor to the optimal fuel efficient setting based on the speed I'm travelling. (Haven't quite figured it out just RPM's or feel yet.) It is not practical for me to always get up to 20 MPH off the bat and we usually cruise less than 15mph.

The dealer and Regency claim this is "normal" and that because the speed is measured off water pressure, the water pressure must build up in order for the speed to start to register. I could understand if it didn't read below 5mph but it is hard to believe all Mercury 225's don't start recording speed until 20mph?? Anyone else have one (or similar new Mercury V-6 with speed measured by pitot? Do you have to reach ~20mph before speed starts reading?

We have absolutely verified that there is no blockage in the pitot tube.

I'm trying to verify if is a common problem for all similar set-ups or if this is somewhat unique to my situation.

Sounds like a paddle wheel speedo might solve the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

My project boat will have a GPS speedometer.----Different models available.-----Even work going down the highway.----Options include direction traveled / distance traveled / odometer.-----No weed problems .---Not that expensive either.

Back