Logo

Checklist

Captain Quint

I have a 1996 Wellcraft with a mercruiser 454 and bravo sterndrive that I am restoring. I am looking for a checklist of all necessary items to verify I have covered all my bases. I would hate to put it in the water and have to pull it back out because I missed a detail, even though that may still happen. Knowing that to many of you much of this may be obvious, to me its still a learning process. I have learned alot restoring this boat, but I am not shy about asking for help when I need it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you!

2- Oil in drive and reservoir ( if it has one).....AND that the drive drain screw has a new gasket and is properly torqued

3- ALL the zincs

4- check props for dings, nicks and bent tips

5- coat the prop shaft(s) with a good waterproof grease before putting props on.

6- tighten prop nuts to correct torque

7- check trim tilt for operation and possible leaks.

8- If FWC, check level of antifreeze

9- Oil level in engine

10- Power steering for proper operation and fluid level.

11- Tow insurance card and registration on board :).

12- Gas in tank

13- Anchor and tow lines

14- ALL USCG required safety equipment.

Concentrate on things that you won't be able to access easily if the boat is in the water....drive, prop, thru hulls, trim tabs, etc. For your first sea trial, don't leave the dock (make sure you're tied up securely so that you don't run into other boats or drive up the ramp). Run the engine until it's good and warmed up. Run through the gears. Check the charging system.
When you go out on the actual sea trial, be sure that someone knows where you are going, how long you pan to be out and if you are pithing cell range be sure to have your phone.
Having a secondary propulsion source (kicker motor) is good thing so that you don't end up stranded.

Back