Logo

1997 150 evinrude Intruder oil injection

B

Bennie Bates

Do i need to disconnect the o

Do i need to disconnect the oil injection on my motor. People keep telling me to mix the oil by hand. How dependable is the oil injection unit. Does it need serviced or replaced.

"Bennie.... It would be a good

"Bennie.... It would be a good idea to obtain a service manual for your engine so that you will understand the functions of the unit, how the warning system works etc. As long as the warning system is operating properly, there is nothing to fear.

However, should you feel that at some point in time that you want to eliminate the auto oil setup, it can be done as follows.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Joe
"

" Joe,
I have a 1997 115hp Oc

" Joe,
I have a 1997 115hp OceanPro. You were saying in the previous post that as long as your warning system was working, you have nothing to fear from the VRO. Does the sensor detect low oil quantity or low VRO pressure, etc? I ah heard that the VRO on Johnson/Rudes were diaphram pumps and subject to failure. Can you fill me in on that too. Thanks. "

"Bill..... On the 115hp Evinru

"Bill..... On the 115hp Evinrude/Johnson engines, there are various warnings as follows:

1 - Beep every other second = VRO failure, oil restriction, no oil being supplied to VRO.

2 - Beep every 20 seconds or so = Oil level in tank has dropped to approximately 1/4 tank.

3 - Beep is steady and constant = Overheating.

Joe
"

" Well I tell you what its awf

" Well I tell you what its awfully tempting. I just lost the number 1 piston on my 2001 70 hp Johnson. I have a Carolina skif that was rigged with the VRO oil tank right in front of the transom, needless to say this seemingly sealed oil tank got water in it. The rest is history $2400 damage. I talked to the OMC tech who's been doing OMC for 51 yrs, he says no way don't disconnect the VRO but it's awfully tempting after this. "

Back