Logo

280T Identification and Hydraulic Ram Help

NCVP

Good Evening!

I have a quick question and then a request for advice.

I have a new to me 22’ Tiara Continental with a AQ290A and AQ280T drive. Serial # of the drive is #28142657.

I want first to verify this is an AQ280T. I read through the identification threads, and it seems that the determining factor is the presence of the hydraulic lift system. Is this accurate? My boat has the ram brace, wider transom shield with the additional brackets to accept the hydraulic cylinder etc. Here’s a link to a similar ram brace for reference: https://www.freshwatervolvopentapar...17-280-pt-280-t-2?_pos=1&_sid=ed3ccabef&_ss=r

So, am I right that its a 280T? My confusion comes from the fact that we lack any beach tilt trim function, and only have the hydraulic lift function, just up and down. There is no other lift function as described in another 280T thread.

Now the advice:

We used the boat all summer in light duty cruising, everything ran well, and I was taking note of things that I needed to inspect closer when it was out of the water. Last week, the port hydraulic hose outboard of the transom burst, and we lost lift. I pulled the boat, and removed the cylinders and had new hoses made. I had intended to reseal the cylinders (HYD-4008A/B; they weren’t visually leaking, but it seemed like a good idea since I had them off), but after I cleaned them, they were in rough shape, and the top cap was awfully stuck. Before I put too much heat on the seals, and too much force on the cap I started to look for replacement parts as a backup. It appears they are few and far between. I did locate a new shield, steering helmet, ram brace and cylinders available to purchase. The pictures had the cylinders and they looked much better than mine. It’s not cheap, but there seems to be limited options for replacement. I also started reading on this forum about the 280T and is seemed to be suggested that I should look to change my shield and drive at a later date due to parts availability. So...should I:

1) Buy the shield and cylinders, change the cylinders, put it all back together and keep the extra parts for future repair. I can deal with the extra cost if this seems sensible.
2) Clean up my existing cylinders, bleed and reinstall the system and move on to the next project, knowing that I should anticipate a transom shield and drive change at a later date.

If the answer is 2, I know I will have follow up questions about what to start looking for as I plan for that eventual swap...probably next winter.

Looking forward to hearing from this forum. Y’all have been really helpful just in what I have read thus far. I’m new to stern drives, with most of my marine experience being yanmar and atomic straight shaft sailboat engines. Thanks for taking the time to read this far and any input is welcome. Happy to take some specific pics if necessary.

I believe that drive would be a 280 PT.... not a 280T.

Here's the 280 in a DP PT version..... DP = Duo Prop addition.

In order to launch this "marine parts express" hyperlink, copy/paste in into your browser and remove the *** and replace with S E X .... no spaces.

AQ280DPPT.gif

The T drives incorporated a single hydraulic cylinder that was attached to a very unique transom shield and suspension fork.
T drive parts today are extremely hard to find.

Same with this hyperlink.

AQ280T.gif

If you can't get them to load, let me know and I'll host them myself and will post them.

Last edited:
Got it. Thank you. My drive definitely looks more like the 280 PT. Still having difficulty finding a parts diagram or replacement cylinders. I’ll look a little more in depth this afternoon. Is there a resource for parts that I’ve yet to discover?

I believe that drive would be a 280 PT.... not a 280T.

Here's the 280 in a DP PT version..... DP = Duo Prop addition.

In order to launch this "marine parts express" hyperlink, copy/paste in into your browser and remove the *** and replace with S E X .... no spaces.

AQ280DPPT.gif

The T drives incorporated a single hydraulic cylinder that was attached to a very unique transom shield and suspension fork.
T drive parts today are extremely hard to find.

Same with this hyperlink.

AQ280T.gif

If you can't get them to load, let me know and I'll host them myself and will post them.

Got it. Thank you. My drive definitely looks more like the 280 PT. Still having difficulty finding a parts diagram or replacement cylinders. I’ll look a little more in depth this afternoon. Is there a resource for parts that I’ve yet to discover?

I doubt that you can find parts via Volvo Penta today.

There is a man in Canada (Bill Lawrence) who rebuilds these cylinders and sells the seal kits.
I've lost touch with Bill, so I'm not sure if he still does it.

You may also want to look on E-Bay and see what you can find.
Correct key words will be important.

Back