Logo

2004 50hp RPM gauge not working

lmbr

2004 Mercury 2 stroke, Model 50ELPTO, on a 2004 Triton Pro Crappie model. RPM gauge quit. Worked intermittingly for a time but now has quit. Does it sound like I need to replace the gauge or look at other things also? I'm assuming there is a wire coming from the motor. I can't find it on Seloc manual wiring diagram. What color is the wire & does it go thru the key switch?

I went to the CDI Electronics website and downloaded a troubleshooting guide. After reading it, it sounds like I do have a stator issue but am going to check it out using the guide. Thanks for your response. :)

FYI (I cam not blaming or criticizing you) I spoke with CDI tech support and apparently both my stator and regulator are bad. He asked what battery I am using and said that a maintenance free battery is the problem. Said a dual purpose battery is required. When I checked the yellow wires coming from the stator the waterproof bullet connectors have been VERY hot, to the point of melting. So now I have to replace the stator, regulator, AND battery. Getting pretty expensive. Wish there was a way us owners could have a way to know this info. Seems that Mercury would have a warning somewhere as an alert. Again please don’t think I am putting any blame on you. Matter of fact I really appreciate your input since you pointed me to the problem area to look at. Maybe just wanting to help others avoid this.:)

Last edited:
This used to be in the owner/operator manual..

What are we looking at here? What is the dual purpose battery warning, aka start/deep cycle? As compared to running a deep cycle only? Is it something about MF batteries in particular? Why is this the only time I have seen this comment about battery type over the years when MF batteries are everywhere, including in my rigs? Clarification appreciated, sir.

The internal resistance of MF batteries is different than a conventional lead acid battery, this can confuse the regulator on demand of charge to the battery. CDI has it posted on pg 6-7 of their book. They are OK for use on 4stroke and outboards with alternators.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cdi.JPG
    cdi.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for your reply. That was the way it was explained to me by tech support. I’m assuming this caution is not in the current version of the manuals since most of the newer motors are 4 stroke. I got a manual online from the Mercury website and don’t see anything about it. For those of us who have purchased used boats/motors and didn’t get the manual with them, it can be a tough learning process. But thankfully this is correcting the problem. :)

Well, replaced the battery, stator, and regulator. All is working so I guess I am good to go. Really appreciate all the advice, been a big help! On the advice of tech support rep at CDI, I got a Deco DP27 non maintenance free battery.
Hope this thread helps anyone else with a 2 stroke motor to be sure about what battery they are using. When I got the previous battery, I got a maintenance free battery thinking I was getting the best I could get. BTW, I also found a really good YouTube video on replacing the stator on this exact motor. It was a great help. Alerted me to a tool made to pull the flywheel that made that a piece of cake. 👍🤠

Back