Logo

trim/tilt how to?

dhspot1

hey guys i have a '78 marlin with a 120 the trim motor is mounted on the top starboard side of motor the hose that is leaking goes down from the pump to the bottom of the out drive with the other hose and disappears into ? i for the life of me cannot even get to them so i don't know if i have to pull something other than my nuts i.e. motor,outdrive? the two actuators have double hose's they in turn connect to the fittings plate do the hoses from inside connect to that plate some how? any suggestions would be so helpful been stuck for a few days on trying to find help, the old book doesn't help me thank you don henderson

Last edited:
remove the nuts holding the block that the trim hoses connect to and pull down. Access to the hoses right there
click to enlarge

Last edited:
oh i have another question* on the pump housing it says to use 5/20 or 5/30 weight oil but what was in it was trany fluid, am i to use the motor oil or trany fluid? thanks don h.

I use ATF. Why? It's better suited for the demands of hydraulics. Better care of seals, better under pressure, stabil viscosity. I even use it in my chain saws as chain oil......straight in winter, used motor oil mixed about 50/50 in summer. Cut 100 cords of firewood per year. Mixed 50/50 with acetone.....a fantastic rust buster.....better than JB80 and PBlaster. Mix it fresh....as you use it.

Last edited:
If he has an older trim pump with the older smaller trim rams, those used a heavier oil than trans fluid. I believe they specified 20 weight. The lighter fluid seems not to work as well.

Back