Logo

Fix for gas sloshing out of the vent tube - retro fit Atwood Fuel Line Protector for 5/8" vent hose

Fix for gas sloshing out of the vent tube - retro fit Atwood Fuel Line Protector for 5/8" vent hose

[h=2]Fix for gas leaking / sloshing out of the vent tube - retro fit Atwood Fuel Line Protector for 5/8" vent hose[/h]I have a 16' 1982 tri hull outboard boat with a 30 gallon permanent, aluminum gas tank.
Isn't it hard to believe that in 1982 our boat's fuel system was designed without this simple float check valve I just got after researching how to make my boat's' tank more modern for leaking fuel management?

Because my 1982 Boat with outboard, and many older boats from what I've read, when the gas tank is full or near full, while trailering or boating, the fuel can slosh in the tank forcing some gas to come up and leak right out of the 5/8" vent hose out the back of the boat....

So I did research on this subject and found the addition of this simple valve with float ball mounted in line vertically (Atwood Fuel Line Protector for 5/8" vent hose), will shut off the hose when the gas rises up enough to float it's ball, keeping most of it from coming out of my vent.
This will Also help stop gas coming out of the vent when filling at the gas station as it will encourage the pump to shut off once the fuel rises to this valve! Will also probably close the vent tube in the case our older boats happen to flip or sink, sparing gas contaminating our waters.

I considered going even further to address our old tank designs, by installing a carbon vapor capture canister But those are expensive and really require more plumbing changes in our old gas tanks to make it work properly when filling etc. and the canisters can be problem prone anyway. I'm happy with this simple valve addition upgrade.

Why aren't people advocating this valve retro fit?
If you have an older boat before about 2011 when the Gov required much more, I suggest you consider it.

Let's keep our waters gas free so they don't ban our old boats any time soon!

Take care

Back