Logo

1988 mercruiser 3.0 electronic ignition NO spark

Osanxhjaku

Hello all. I recently purchased a 1988 searay with a 3.0 mercruiser it cranks but I can’t get it to start. I’ve changed plugs and wires, distributor cap, ignition coil, rotor, starter solenoid. Can’t get it to start or get spark. It has a pertronix electronic ignition ignitor on it so points and condenser isn’t an issue. Checked and there is 12v at the coil. Not sure what else what else to look for. The kill switch at the throttle handle is wired with one wire to another from the harness and they are blue and purple stripe. Not sure it’s wired correctly any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hey there...so I’ve looked and I can’t seem to find where it’s located. It’s not under the distributor or like it shows in the diagrams I’ve found. And I still haven’t figured out why it won’t start. It’s a 1988 mercruiser 3.0l 140hp cid 181 if that helps at all. Not sure where to go from
here any help would be greatly appreciated

to have spark the reluctor that fits on the dist shaft must turn, make sure its not broken/damaged.Make sure the dist it turning also.
Only 2 wires come from the module, red to coil pos, black to coil neg.

PerTronix-Ignitor-Ignition-Kit-for-009-050-Distributors-Back.jpg

Back