Logo

93' 230b / SP-C Outdrive Oil (Gear or Engine Oil)

Deneen

Hello,

Figured this may be a good place to solve this question. I have a (new to me) 93' WellCraft Excel with a VP 230B and SP-C (2.15:1) outdrive. Workshop manual seems to indicate gear oil and VP chart indicates engine oil for 2.15:1 ratio - if I am reading it correctly. When I drained it this year, it was definitely gear oil (green). That does not mean it was correct. Any definitive recommendation would be appreciated.

chart.jpgworshop.jpg

The s/p drives incorporate a slinger pump in the lower unit.
The slinger pump impeller is die cast aluminum and is driven by either one or two roll pins that connect it to the lower unit driven gear.
With the early s/p drives, heavy gear oil caused too much load on the impeller, causing the pins to shear off.
If this occurs, you've now lost the ability to pump the cool oil up to the transmission to dissipate heat.

I believe that the pin size was increased when the C series came out.

This is old, but notes that SP-A2 and SP-C may also be operated on fully synthetic, API GL5, except ratio 2.15:1. I'll wait for all you experts to chime in.
servicebullitin.jpg

I would use what the OEM suggests.

By the way, the AQ series Duo Prop uses the AFT driven gear to pump oil up..... no slinger pump!

Back