Logo

Prop Selection, 1983 35 HP Johnson

Marcus1

I recently inherited a 1971 13ft Boston Whaler Sourpuss that is a time capsule, absolutely beautiful and all original except the 1983 Johnson 35 HP LS Johnson, Model# J35EICTS.Motor runs strong and I top out at 26 mph. Load is roughly 3-400 lbs. The prop looks original but there are NO markings. I would like to re-place prop as it is bent and looks like someone tried to repair it at some time. What would be a good diameter and pitch for this set-up?

Thanks in advance

I have 2 of these engines and one of them has a 10x13 and the other is 10x11. It could well be one of those. Based on your boat, since it's similar to mine in the thread below yours (prop pitch for a hydroplane), those 2 pitches should be right up your alley. I run less load so maybe the 10x11 would be better for you.

I have 2 of these engines and one of them has a 10x13 and the other is 10x11. It could well be one of those. Based on your boat, since it's similar to mine in the thread below yours (prop pitch for a hydroplane), those 2 pitches should be right up your alley. I run less load so maybe the 10x11 would be better for you.

Thank you for your insight/information. It is much appreciated!

Marc

You’re welcome. I should clarify that 10 x 11 is probably closer to 10.5 x 11 or 10.25 x 11. The diameters seem to get slightly bigger as the pitch decreases.

Back