Logo

Just water draining from lower unit, no oil

HeronWagner

I have a 2005 Mercury Bigfoot 50hp Fourstroke EFI, I went to replace the gear lube, I took out the drain screw/plug and just water came out, there was no oil at all, I am wondering if It is possible I took out the wrong drain plug and drained the water from the impeller case or something. The outboard functioned well and I had no issues with it at all this season. Am I trying to change the oil wrong or could my gear case actually have been filled with water all season?

This sounds serious.----Put some oil ( even peanut oil ) in there while you decide what to do.------Corrosion of bearings is an issue.-----I doubt you drained an " impeller casing "--------I say take the lower unit apart for inspection.

This sounds serious.----Put some oil ( even peanut oil ) in there while you decide what to do.------Corrosion of bearings is an issue.-----I doubt you drained an " impeller casing "--------I say take the lower unit apart for inspection.

Thanks for the reply, Just filled it up with mercury gear lube, It defiantly was the gear cause the oil came out the fill level. Things are starting to freeze up here in Maine, should I take the lower unit inside for now, to avoid any further damage?

Well I think you should be taking it apart now for inspection.-----Would give you all winter to repair / look for budget parts !

Back