Logo

-52 Chris Craft KBL water cooling passages

nyholku

Hi,

I hope this is ok to post here.

I'm CAD modelling the Chris Craft KBL engine of my -53 Riviera.

What I don't fully understand how the cooling water flows.

I have a collection of images from a KBL rebuild and I can of course refer to my engine but I'm still not getting it all.

Here is what I think but I'm not sure this is correct:

The water comes from the water pump through the oil cooler and enters the exhaust manifold at bottom side at the aft end.

Then it is not clear what happens.

It appears there are four axial channels / passages in the exhaust manifold.

The water flows along some of these channels in the manifold to the flywheel end and exits the manifold via a port at the top end of the end flange.

From there it goes to the cylinder head and from the cylinder head it flows through orifices between the cylinders into the cylinder block.

And then via a different set of orifices back to the cylinder head.

From the cylinder head the water finally exits via elongated orifices over the exhaust ports through the engine block to the exhaust ports on the cylinder block and from there to the manifold exhaust passage and then to the exit elbow.

But it looks like there is a water channel on the top of the exhaust elbow which exits into the exhaust pipe and where does that water come from?

wbr Kusti

PS

Here are some pics for reference:

http://www.sparetimelabs.com/temp/ccengine/pic1.jpg
http://www.sparetimelabs.com/temp/ccengine/pic2.jpg
http://www.sparetimelabs.com/temp/ccengine/pic3.jpg
http://www.sparetimelabs.com/temp/ccengine/pic3.jpg

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 75
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 80
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 90
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 76
First and foremost, you've done a nice job. Nice and clean. I like that!

Secondly, I did a search for the cooling system for this engine, but came up short.

I have quite a bit of experience with the later marine engines and the cooling systems, but I must admit, I'm at a loss with yours.

A few questions and comments:

Most seawater strainers are up-stream of the seawater pump. In other words, the seawater undergoes straining prior to reaching the pump itself.
It looks as though your is down-stream.

Is this a standard LH rotation engine? (I'm trying to determine which direction the seawater pump spins)
I'd like to see which port is suction, and which port is supply.

If I'm looking at this correctly, and if I follow the seawater path as per your photos, it appears to be feeding the exhaust manifold prior to anything else.
Is that correct?

With most modern day raw water cooling systems, the seawater pump first feeds the T-stat housing.
The T-stat housing supplies coolant (the term "coolant" is used to describe seawater) to the engine's circulating pump.
The circulating pump supplies seawater to the engine's cooling jackets and cylinder heads.
Once the thermostat opens, the coolant leaves the engine and is sent back to the T-stat housing where it is then mixed and sent to the exhaust system via T-stat housing by-pass porting.

I'm thinking that this engine is not equipped with a thermostat..... correct?

Here is a site that may be helpful.

https://mccallboatworks.com/chris-craft-hercules-k-6-cyl-1946/

Perhaps it could lead you to a Hercules forum.

You could also try contacting them.

McCall Boat Works
1304 Boydstun Lane
PO Box 2306
McCall ID 83638
phone 208-941-5402

Thanks, but that is no actually my engine so I cannot take any credit.

I think I actually now more or less understand how this works.

The sea water from the bottom of the boat is sucked (through a rubber hose )by the water pump that feeds it (via an other rubber hose) into the oil cooler from which it flows through a third rubber hose into the aft end of the exhaust manifold bottom side.

Inside the manifold the water flows along the cylinder side passage and passes from that channel in the manifold to the cylinder block via holes between the exhaust ports.

Then from the block it flows via holes between cylinders to the cylinder head and from the cylinder head flywheel end it goes via the last rubber hose back to the flywheel end of the exhaust manifold end flange top.

In the exhaust manifold the water flow svia the top and likely via the outside passage to the aft end of the manifold where it enters the top channel of the exhaust elbow.

In the elbow the water flow along a single top channel and at the end of the elbow it combines with the exhausts and it all then exits thought the exhaust pipe.

The sea water from the bottom of the boat is sucked (through a rubber hose )by the water pump
That would be the seawater pump.

that feeds it (via another rubber hose) into the oil cooler from which it flows through a third rubber hose into the aft end of the exhaust manifold bottom side.
Inside the manifold the water flows along the cylinder side passage and passes from that channel in the manifold to the cylinder block via holes between the exhaust ports.
So then, the seawater is passing through the exhaust manifold before entering the engine.... correct?

Then from the block it flows via holes between cylinders to the cylinder head and from the cylinder head flywheel end it goes via the last rubber hose back to the flywheel end of the exhaust manifold end flange top.
Is there a thermostat in the system?

In the exhaust manifold the water flow svia the top and likely via the outside passage to the aft end of the manifold where it enters the top channel of the exhaust elbow.

In the elbow the water flow along a single top channel and at the end of the elbow it combines with the exhausts and it all then exits thought the exhaust pipe.

I will still suggest either contacting McCall Boat Works or joining a ChrisCraft specific forum that may be able to help you.

Back