Logo

1962 Evinrude 3hp gas leak

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have a gas leak that looks like it originates from either the fuel knob or where the line connects. I had put plumbers tape on the connection on the fuel line and it worked for a little before it dissolved. The carburetor bowl gasket also looks wet but I’m pretty sure it’s also from the line connection since the whole line is wet.

Think this is all copper or steel line. I have successfully modified these to include a rubber line and small filter. I will see if I can post a picture.
The lower cowling fits over it very well. Sold this motor for $400 last May, and the family loves it. The young son dumped it completely underwater. I coached them through recovery and drying it out. They got it going again the same day. Now I'm fixing their 9.9 horse Evinrude. Plenty of these old outboards still around here in Northern MN.

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_175631942_HDR_compress88.jpg
    IMG_20200406_175631942_HDR_compress88.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Ah, my mistake. Should've been obvious with the plumbers tape.

Edit: Does gas dissolve plumbers tape?

Last edited:
Not really, but plumbers tape is for use on threads, eh? And these compression fittings don't really leak past the threads, they leak along the tube.....past where the taper/sleeve is supposed to seal.

It looks like the leak is coming from where it screws onto the tank since it’s completely wet all the way to the top. I’m going to try a rubber o ring to see if that helps.

And the plumbers tape looked like it had dissolved, it was almost completely gone and only a small piece was left. I’m going to try to get some gas safe plumbers tape because it seems to have worked the best for me.

I also tried some thread sealant and it worked for like 24 hours before it started leak again. It’s definitely leaking above the petcock too since it still leaks with the gas off

Last edited:
How bout this stuff? Make sure you wrap the right direction so as you tighten the fitting, it doesn't come unwrapped. Put a couple layers so it can squish into the imperfections and that allows a better chance to line up the valve with the lower cowling slot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-090834.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-090834.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 35
Ok I just put the o ring on it and I had to really crank it down so that the fuel shutoff valve faced straight. It seems to be working, I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t.

I fixed the same issue on my dads this summer. Found a new fiber gasket at local hardware store, and my go-to sealant for fuel/oil is either Yama-bond or Honda-bond gray liquid gasket maker. It is made for two stroke crank cases.

Back