Logo

3 Evinrude Fisherman 5mph full throttle

dflye

I have 3 Fisherman motors 1968, 72 and 73
They all run great, idle great and will rev in the tank.
On the water I cant get over 5mph out of any of them.
12ft. Aluminum lightly loaded....
Beating my head against the wall on this one...
Please help....

Last edited:
Re: 3 Evinrude Fisherman 5mph

6 hp i take it? I have one also, 12ft lund fishing boat. Max speed is 8 mph with my wife and myself in it. 5-6 by myself. Try moving the gas tank upfront, maybe the anchor also. Adjust the motor trim. Loaded down with camping gear I get 3mph.

Yes 6hp motors, I see videos with same motors on YouTube, weighted down and looks like they're cruising, maybe 10mph or better...

All 3 motors can't be bad.-----But find a local shop that might have a test prop.------That item can be used to determine motor condition, actual power output.-----Sounds to me like your boat is limiting your speed.----And what elevation are you running at ?

Did you weigh anchor? No.....really gotta be "Som Ting Wong" How can all 3 of them be so slow? If bow is too low, try trim up motor. Usually with an evenly distributed load, the 6 horse should be in second trim notch from the transom. Should run at least 10 mph with moderate load (600 pounds), in a little 12' aluminum.

Yeah, I will have to shoot one and then upload.
Its strange because they run great but
when I throttle up the rpm doesn't increase
In the water, but in the tank they do.

How big is the tank ?------And perhaps it is easy for a motor to turn a prop in water that has lots of exhaust bubbles in it.----Air bubbles do not present the same load as solid water under a boat !----Find a shop with a proper test prop !

I have to agree 1 cylinder.------But he says that they all run " great " so how could it be that all 3 are running on one cylinder?-----A shop with a test prop could quickly determine condition of the motors.-----They do run nicely on 1 cylinder.

To check that both cylinders are firing and responding...............

With the engines running individually at what you would call normally, do a drop test, that is... with insulated pliers, pull one spark plug lead off one spark plug, then the other. You should obtain a identical response... Do you?

If all of the engines prove to be running normally... and unfortunately a 5hp or 6hp engine isn't going to break any speed records... you could try installing two engines via an adjoining steering link (Yes, it's been done), keeping the 3rd one for a spare... or upgrade to the next higher hp model.

1st motor: Died when I pulled bottom plug wire
2nd motor: Died when I pulled top plug wire.
3rd motor: RPM went down but would stay idling on either top or bottom. Rpm increase when plugged back in.

There you go.-----You said that motors run ---" great "-----But now we know there are issues.-----Pull the flywheels.----Inspect ignition coils.----You will find 2 new coils or ones that are old and cracked.----As stated , to the untrained ear they sound pretty good on 1 cylinder.-----That Is why I suggested a test prop.-----Tools will tell you if there is nothing wrong with a motor or not !----Motor 3 might have a blown head gasket.---They typically blow between the cylinders.----New gaskets are much improved.

Last edited:
, I really appreciate your insight/knowledge and willingness to
educate. I will pull flywheels and start investigating.
I'll report my findings here as well

Thanks guys.....you are the best. We must always keep in mind that not everyone has alot of ability and/or experience. Our job is to "walk em' through", with patience and consideration. I am honored to be among your company.....too bad we can never meet.

Back