Logo

1992? Johnson 15 HP Worth Repairing?

Sparhawk59

I recently purchased a 14 foot Lowe Jumbo Semi-V aluminum boat (it's called Jumbo because it is wider and deeper than most similar 14 footers) and it came with a Johnson 15 HP Short Shaft Motor. Both the boat and motor were sold as is, and they are projects. I have a handle on the boat repairs, but I question if the motor is worth repairing. First, the PO had taken the recoil system apart and most of the assembly pieces were missing. Second, the tiller throttle cable linkage is broken and no longer has the section that attaches the plate on the flywheel. Third, the plastic silencer was missing off the carb. Fourth, a screw is broken off on the bottom plate that secures both halves of the mounting bracket. This is the plate at the very bottom of the bracket. It will need to be either drilled out and tapped or welded. I would also change the impeller and fuel filter if I continue. I have already ordered the starter recoil assembly and the plastic carb silencer assembly. So I have about $100.00 in parts already into the motor. The motor paint is in poor condition and I plan to repaint, but the engine powerhead is clean and has little corrosion. Engine appears to have decent compression, observed by manually turning the flywheel. So, given everything that I need to repair or replace is it worth it. Or would I be better trying to locate another motor that is working and pay $500+ for it. Thanks for any input.

I recently purchased a 14 foot Lowe Jumbo Semi-V aluminum boat (it's called Jumbo because it is wider and deeper than most similar 14 footers) and it came with a Johnson 15 HP Short Shaft Motor. Both the boat and motor were sold as is, and they are projects. I have a handle on the boat repairs, but I question if the motor is worth repairing. First, the PO had taken the recoil system apart and most of the assembly pieces were missing. Second, the tiller throttle cable linkage is broken and no longer has the section that attaches the plate on the flywheel. Third, the plastic silencer was missing off the carb. Fourth, a screw is broken off on the bottom plate that secures both halves of the mounting bracket. This is the plate at the very bottom of the bracket. It will need to be either drilled out and tapped or welded. I would also change the impeller and fuel filter if I continue. I have already ordered the starter recoil assembly and the plastic carb silencer assembly. So I have about $100.00 in parts already into the motor. The motor paint is in poor condition and I plan to repaint, but the engine powerhead is clean and has little corrosion. Engine appears to have decent compression, observed by manually turning the flywheel. So, given everything that I need to repair or replace is it worth it. Or would I be better trying to locate another motor that is working and pay $500+ for it. Thanks for any input.
I would have checked compresssion and spark first before ordering parts..Can use a drill to turn engine turning by hand is not an accurate measurement.If all is good there then parts should not be that much..You could spend $500 or more on a problem motor.Impellers are cheap and retapping threads is cheap.Paint don’t make it run better.Lots of used parts out there.

I would repair that motor !----I have all the parts / pieces ( pistons / rods / bearings / blocks ) to fix a motor like that.---If you have to buy major parts new it adds up quickly.-------If you have to pay someone $100 / hr it may be a different story.

Spinning with a drill, plugs out.....about 120 psi. I have lots of parts for these too. Also Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331.

I don't know about 1992, but I love my 1985 15hp Evinrude. It's got plenty of power on my 14ft aluminum vhull. It may take a lot of time to get your motor straightened out, so you have to decide if you want a project or if you want to buy something that's good to go. I doubt you'd find a great running 15hp for $500, depending on your local market.

I buy all I can get here for $500. .....as long as they have compression and good gears/trany. Then dial em in...base clear paint as necessary, trying to retain original decals....then resell with a one year warranty and bottle of Amsoil. Usually get $1200 for them with refurbished real steel tank. Best outboard EVER MADE......at least in my eyes.

I'll send you a free sample, message me. I think Al probably saved my life, I run a chain saw all the time. Been using Amsoil in my saws for 40 years at 64:1. All that foul air at say 40:1 with petrol base......I'd be dead by now. Al was exposed to synthetics when he flew a jet in the Air Force. He worked hard to create the very first synthetic to become available to the public. Great man....a true legend, I'm honored to have known him all these years. He presented me and Dad with a case of 100:1 in tiny 8 oz. bottles.....said use in our two strokes....that was like 1976. Truthfully we never looked back, never ruined a motor, always clean air and water. His base lubricant is derived from fresh but rotten animals.....believe it, brother. He knew he wouldn't have to dig for dinasor grease anymore.

Last edited:
Back