Logo

I’m giving up on the fuel quick connect!

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Alright, I give up. There is no way I’m the only one who is having this problem. I have a 2008 6hp 4 stroke motor that runs like a top (well it does now after much TLC). I’ve gone through three quick connect fittings (the one that connects fuel hose to motor) and each ends up leaking over time and eventually causes engine to stall at the most inconvenient times. I’m giving up. I’ve tried using a few different brands (got the last one right from dealer). As far as I’m concerned the design is flawed. The copper stem that is supposed to keep the connector firmly in place is too short which means the connector is always attached at an angle instead of straight on. This means that every time I turn the engine to steer the quick connect takes more abuse than it’s meant to take. Most of the time that that ends up being fine but like I said, when I most need the engine (which it somehow knows!) that’s when I lose vacuum and stall out. So I give up. I’m taking that quick connect right off and will replace with some sort of generic connector that will likely be more inconvenient to disconnect but at least it won’t leak.

am I the only one who has had this problem?

I have a couple small 4 strokes. I think your motor takes the same coupling. The first thing I do on these is to take off that stiff plastic hose and put on a soft flexible real rubber hose. This really minimized the tugging on the fitting.....especially since I often operate in low temperatures, sometimes even below freezing. Personally, I have never had a problem.

Back