Logo

1965 Evinrude 3hp yachtwin fuel pump

Colezay

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have a 1965 Evinrude 3hp yachtwin model 3532a and I took apart the fuel pump on it and it is completely toast. Is it worth getting a new one or should I just bypass it? The tank could still gravity feed and I can’t find a pump online like it. I also can’t imagine anyone using a external fuel tank on a 3hp outboard :p.

Sure, just eliminate it and use gravity feed if that's all you need. As the name implies, the Yachtwin was originally intended for use as sailboat auxilaries. where people would push their boat for 20 miles such as down the intercoastal waterway, and refilling the integral tank would be a pain. As motor for every use was the plan.

Yeah, all I want to do is toot around a lake on a John boat with it. It seems like they break very often because I haven’t seen one with a fuel pump yet.

???----Why the confusion.----The fuel pump used would be the same as the 6 HP of that year.---And those pumps are ultra reliable too.-----Last for 20 years or more.-----It was an option accessory on the 3 HP.----Unless the little pump was molested , they are easy to fix with a new diaphragm for about $6.00 I think.----Easy fix for me.

Oh it is in terrible condition. Completely full of rust and there were some springs in there with metal pieces that basically dissolved lol. I’m not one to replace stuff as soon as it proves a challenge but it is wretched. Basically any small metal pieces have turned to rust

Last edited:
It looks like you could clean up most of those parts and just replace the diaphragm, but if you're happy with the gravity feed there's no reason not to do that.

The part I’m worried about is the corroded bit right there. It looks like it should be a valve or something there and it’s gone3864B230-8A26-433C-87B4-D96B14B6AE1E.jpeg

One of the check valves that rotted away.------Still be an easy fix for me here.----I have lots of parts.-------The real worry is if there was water in the pump , then how much water got onto the cylinder wall.----How much rust is there on the crankshaft bearing surfaces ?

Believe it or not the cylinder walls looked fine. No rust or scratches. I don’t think this motor ran a lot at all. Looks like it just sat a lot

Also could you link me to a repair kit for it? I can’t really find one. And also those check valves

Last edited:
There is no kit that I know of. Even if there was, I don't think it would include the check valves. Let the pump die a dignified death.

Ha....you guys are a blast.......just like the old 2 line tanks, eh? Someday I'm gonna get all these motors running again here. Brilliant engineering.....refreshing to work on and repair.....extremely reliable. Call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331. They can set you up with a kit, check valve, used pump, or new pump. You call the shots with Mike, Dan, or Theresa. Great folks. Google them and check their reviews.

Yeah they are nice to work on. Barely any wiring and when there is wiring it’s pretty simple. The exterior of it is in really good condition. It’s just going to need a lot to be in mechanically good condition. Has no spark and carburetor is going to need an overhaul. I like how everything is mechanical on them too.5278638E-8495-4B52-BFCE-9437B91A615C.jpeg

If I need an uplifting experience, (and a few bucks in my pocket), I grab one of these old "wallhangers".....tune em up. Put em on Craig's list, Marketplace, or eBay.....and make a new friend. Got about 100 of em here.

Yes....got some sweet motors up here in "nordern Minisoda". Started fixing em as a little boy.....gonna fix em till I am near as old as my mentors here.

They sound plentiful up there. I had to drive an hour for mine. But I got one that ran 3 months ago and one that hadn’t been touched for $50

Back